Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery

I have experienced upper arm and lower groin muscle aches and

Customer Question

I have experienced upper arm and lower groin muscle aches and pain for two weeks now. These started after my first epidural injection in Dec. These aches and pains are worst first thing in the morning and get a little less severe toward evening. I am taking Tylenol and Norco for now, about every 5-6 hours. My doctor at Kaiser has no clue. I have no heart related problems like blood pressure or shortness of breath, and feel fine otherwise. What is going on here?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.

HI, Thanks for your question. My name isXXXXX and I am here to help you today with your question. I will be happy to assist you with your follow up questions also. I need few details. Do you feel any pain on pressing those areas? Are you sure that they are in muscles and not in bones? Any test done like MRI or CT scan? Have you seen a specialist? Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No pain or pressure, does not feel like it is in the bones, but hard to tell. The last MRI I had was mostly for lower spine issues, which the epidural injections have been administered for. These aches and pains doe subside some with movement, so I'm pretty sure they are muscle related.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Robert thanks a lot for your input. I am sorry to hear about your problem. There are few aspects which i would like to address. First of all we cannot be sure that this is muscle related or bone related because feeling such pain in morning and getting better with movements is termed as morning stiffness and this is usually seen in arthritis. So your doctor should rule you out for arthritis if not done already. Secondly your doctor should get an MRI of the affected areas to see the status of muscles and if he confirms that its muscular then he should move on and should send you for physical therapy as this is next step in management of muscular pains if they are not responding to the pain killers.Its better that you avoid norco because they should not be taken for long.You should try OTC tab aleve twice daily, its quite effective and quite stronger than tylenol. I hope i have clarified my concerns but if you have any questions, please feel free because our discussion always remains open so you can always ask more and I will be glad to assist you. Your excellent feedback is requested and will be appreciated, regards.
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dr. Hasan: Thanks for your advice, not sure I have the complete answer yet to this ongoing pain. The Vicodin tabs I'm on seem to help lessen the pain but do cause other complications. I have now been referred to a rheumatiod specialist, whom I will see yet today (2-8). The epidural injections I have had for my lower spine issues have basically been ruled out as being the cause of this, but the timing seems to say that there may be a relationship. But, I guess I have to trust my doctors on this one, as I wish this pain were no longer with me first thing in the new day.

Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot for your input. I am really sorry that your issue is still persisting. Is your doctor susecting arthritis like i did?