Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Experience:  M.B;B.S ; FCPS Experienced in all Medical Specialties
28277873

Hi, I went for my regular std check and it all came back negative,

Hi, I went for my regular std check and it all came back negative, apart from an inconclusive test for gonorrhea following a urine test. I have been asked to provide another urine sample - in the morning this time. Why would a urine test be inconclusive? Can something else be mistaken for gonorrhea?

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a Medical Internist (who deals with diseases of all the organ systems of body) and i will do my best to find an answer for you.

This is not an uncommon situation and can happen frequently.

There are few reasons for this including a inadequate sample. Problems/contamination in the sample.

Errors in the testing reagents/kits.

And a result which is borderline, due to any of the above mentioned suspected conditions/errors should be repeated so the the pathologist can give a conclusive report with certainty.

It was a pleasure assisting you and i hope my answer was helpful. I will appreciate 5 Star Rating (Excellent Service) & a Bonus as this is the only way i get credit for my time & expertise. Do not hesitate to ask any follow up questions or clarifications any time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Many thanks Dr Sohaib - that's very clear. Presumably the focus on a morning urine test as opposed to a pm test (which is what I initially did) would enable the pathologist to test a sample with a greater concentration of whatever bacteria may have been 'brewing' overnight in the urethra?

Yes, and as per standard guidelines, the best urine sample for detection of infection is an early morning midstream urine sample.

The errors will be minimized (such as dilution due to increased water intake)