Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

Hello, Im asking this question on behalf of my mom. In September

Customer Question

Hello, I'm asking this question on behalf of my mom. In September of 2011, she suffered from Pancreatitis. Ever since then, she has barely been able to eat anything. Whenever she does, it gives her a terrible stomach ache and sometimes leaves her in the bathroom for a long time.

She's been to several doctors, including the Mayo Clinic, and everyone tells her that they can't see anything wrong. Some even told her it's in her head. Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Thank you - Jared
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. R. Bora :

What is your mother's age?

Dr. R. Bora :

Does she have any ongoing medical disease like dementia?

Dr. R. Bora :

Please use the reply button to respond.

Customer:

My mom will be turning 52 in March.

Dr. R. Bora :

Thanks.

Dr. R. Bora :

Does she appear depressed?

Customer:

Heart murmurs, IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), and Angina.

Dr. R. Bora :

Is she unable to eat due to neurological issues or there is no definite reason?

Customer:

In September 2011, she had pancreatitis. Ever since then, she hasn't been able to eat and there's no "definitive" signs as to why.

Dr. R. Bora :

Does she take 3 meals in a day? What does her main meal consist of ?

Dr. R. Bora :

Have you done an endoscopy?

Customer:

Yes she has had an endoscopy last year. The doctors found out that her stomach lining was inflamed, but they couldn't say why. They also couldn't connect that to why she can't eat anything.

Dr. R. Bora :

Inflamed stomach lining is usually associated with chronic gastritis which may be inflammatory like H. pylori infection or due to infiltration of abnormal cells.

Dr. R. Bora :

Taking appetizers and liver support can also help to improve her appetitie.

Customer:

They tested her for H. pylori and any other infection and it came back negative.

Customer:

What do you mean by appetizers and liver support?

Dr. R. Bora :

Appetizers are appetite stimulants.

Customer:

Oh, I'm sorry, I should have specified. She's hungry. Like she wants to eat, but anytime she does, it hurts her stomach really badly. She doesn't have a loss of appetite.

Dr. R. Bora :

Its alright I would like you to get her thoroughly treated for chronic gastritis which is a cause for inflamed stomach.

Customer:

She went to the doctor and they treated her for Chronic Gastritis. They gave her some medicine, but she can't remember the name. It helped just a little bit while she ate something small, but after about an hour, her stomach would hurt even worse. So their treatment didn't help.

Dr. R. Bora :

Treating chronic gastritis is not easy, it takes time and patience to treat it.

Dr. R. Bora :

You have to make an appointment with a gastroenterologist.

Dr. R. Bora :

There are a group of drugs like proton pump inhibitors, acid blockers etc.

Dr. R. Bora :

Taking small and frequent an bland diet also helps to treat gastritis and control its symptoms.

Dr. R. Bora :

You should also check her pancreatic status once again to make sure it is functioning normally.

Dr. R. Bora :

Check her blood pancreatic amylase and lipase to know her pancreatic function.

Customer:

She went to a gastroenterologist. They prescribed her with a medicine that starts with the letter D. She was on it every day for 2 months, but it didn't help. The doctor then said there was nothing else they could do to help her. When she was at the Mayo Clinic, they tested her Pancreas and said that it was a little high in its levels, but not enough to cause her to not be able to eat like this. And she's been eating a bland diet for about a year and a half now.

Dr. R. Bora :

I would like you to get back to the gastroenterologist and get a prescription of anti H pylori antibiotics, even though she is negative for it. It has been seen many a times that taking antibiotics reduces the gastritis symptoms to a large extent. There are specific H. pylori regimens that are prescribed for 2 to 3 weeks time.

Dr. R. Bora :

A repeat UGI endoscopy is also advisable to look for any changes / adverse developments, if it was done more than 3 months earlier.

Customer:

I'll make sure she sets up an appointment to get those antibiotics and to try and get her to do another endoscopy. Do you know of any other things that could possibly cause this, specifically ones that may be hard to find?

Dr. R. Bora :

You should check for gall bladder function too to exclude a "poorly functioning gall bladder". Get a HIDA scan that specifically checks for gall bladder function. which can also cause interfere with having normal meals.

Dr. R. Bora :

Esophagitis or inflammation of the esophagus needs to be excluded which could be aggravating her problems.

Dr. R. Bora :

Esophagitis is commonly associated with gastritis and poorly functioning esophageal valves.

Dr. R. Bora :

So, the esophageal manometry is important for her.

Dr. R. Bora :

Get the following done as of now:

Dr. R. Bora :

1. Make appointment with a agstroenterologist.

Dr. R. Bora :

3. Esophageal manometry.

Dr. R. Bora :

2. Repeat UGI endoscopy.

Dr. R. Bora :

4. HIDA scan for gall bladder function.

Dr. R. Bora :

Any more questions?

Customer:

Just one more. Since she's basically not eating anything besides ice cream, is there any vitamins or supplements besides the generic multivitamin that she should be taking to help get her everything she needs?

Dr. R. Bora :

There is no single vitamin or supplement that can give you all the benefits but there is one which has been time tested as a dietary supplement known as "spirulina".

Customer:

Alright. Well thank you very much for your time :)

Dr. R. Bora :

You can check it later.

Dr. R. Bora :

I hope my answer has helped you.

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.
If you have any new questions for me, please request me as DR. BORA in the opening statement.
Good day!