911Doctor
911Doctor, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Emergency Physician
19155615

Hello, Just wanted to ask if you could help.. I started off

Just wanted to ask if you could help.. I started off with a post
Natal drip in the back of my nose two weeks ago, I went to the pharmacy
And bought cold and flu tablets to kill the infection before it became worse(nurses always told me to do this) although it worked the sudafed in the tablets dried out my throat making it a hairy feeling. I didn't muck around after a few days I went an seen a doctor telling him my situation and he agreed that it was an inflamed throat. He gave me amoxcillin antibiotics to take for seven days. I started taking the antibiotics but stopped on my third day as it seemed to get rid of the inflamed infection but cause me to cough. I have stopped taking the tablets and have not yet stopped coughing. I am getting head aches from the back of my neck behind my ears and through my sinus areas and generally have pains in my stomach on and off. Feeling unwell. Have been drinking hot peppermint tea with half a lemon and honey everyday.. And eating. Please help I dot know what it is!!
Category: Health
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

911Doctor :

first of all, once prescribed an antibiotic it is vital to finish the complete course

911Doctor :
911Doctor :

in your case you may have become partially well, stopped the antibiotics, and the 'stronger' bacteria then came back with a vengeance

911Doctor :
911Doctor :

it is also possible that you hvae something called 'walking pneumonia', which is caused by abacteria which is not killed by amoxicillin

911Doctor :

unfortunately, you may need a course of a medicine called 'zithromax' or similar, but, mor concerningly, you are having neck pain and headache now, and while it is very unlikely, the possibility that you could have meningitis needs to be considered, and this can be a serious illness indeed

911Doctor :

i am standing by for your questions.

911Doctor :

are you there?

911Doctor :

I am sorry, I have other customers waiting.

911Doctor :

ah, there you are

911Doctor :

typing i see

911Doctor :

standing by

Customer: Yes sorry just looking up all these illnesses you are telling me about how will I ensure if I get worse I'm not mistaking anything for something serious like meningitis ? And thankyou for your help
911Doctor :

well that's kind of hte point... you have been sick enough now and tried on standard antibiotics but you have become worse

911Doctor :

further testing is needed, at least another exam, possibly a chest xray, to figure out the best 'next step' for you in terms of treatment

911Doctor :

like i said, you may simply need a change of antibiotics

911Doctor :

stnading by

911Doctor :

but a doctor needs to see you and take your vitals, listen to your lungs, look in your ears and throat, and assess if you have signs of meningitis

Customer: Thanks for your help, it's just frustrating because I can't seem to get better.. Should I be worried about anything serious? Because the soonest I can get into seeing a doctor will be Sunday..
911Doctor :

not trying to scare you, and again, i do not think based on what you are telling me that you have it

911Doctor :

well, i do not think you have it, though online i need to consider all options, meningitis IS one of the most serious infectious diseases you can get. certain types are deadly.

911Doctor :

but some of your symptoms go with it

911Doctor :

or a sinus infection that is now causing your cough with post nasal drainage

911Doctor :

and it does sound like you need a change in medicines

911Doctor :

911Doctor :

so i would say that if your neck becomes particularly bothersome, if your headache becomes prominent, if you develop a high fever, or start vomiting, that you should go to the Emergency today,

Customer: And should I keep taking my antibiotics anyway?
911Doctor :

if not, i think waiting for tomorrow will be okay and your currnet treatment will help but will not produce a cure.

911Doctor :

yes,

911Doctor :

take your amoxicillin

911Doctor :

it sounds like it's not the exact right choice for you

911Doctor :

but it will help the doctor to know when he sees you if it is helping or not

911Doctor :

is this clear?

911Doctor, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Emergency Physician
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  911Doctor replied 1 year ago.

sorry, had to switch to Q and A as my patients are starting to arrive.

please let me know if you have further questions.

positive feedback always appreciated.

best