Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine

my two year old has a large hematoma on his head from birth.

my two year old has a large hematoma on his head from birth. The hematoma is very hard and I'm afraid it's not gong to get any smaller. Shold I be concerned? He is not talking much and when he's not smiling his mouth droops like a sad face. Do you think this is related to the hematoma?

Greetings Lynn.

Was an ultrasound or an MRI done for the hematoma?
What is the size of hematoma?
Did he achieve other mile stones at the normal age like sitting, crawling, standing, walking?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, an ultra sound nor MRI has ever been done. Yes, he crawled, sat, stood and walked at a normal age. The hematoma is about the size of a small fist; about four inches across.

Hello Lynn,

It is quite a big hematoma and should be assessed by an ultrasound and an MRI. Though it is rare (despite the size) to affect the development of the brain as these hematoma are on the scalp (above the bones) and normally do not cause pressure inside the brain. So chance of less talking etc may not be related to it, as he has achieved normal mile stones and brain development is likely to be normal. A single delayed mile stone usually is not significant. Still an organized hematoma which has hardened may need surgical removal as it can cause pressure on the soft tissues and nerves. This may affect the normal growth of these tissue.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.