Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

I am a healthy 44 yr old female who is now experiencing heavy

I am a healthy 44 yr old female who is now experiencing heavy periods with clotting. My gynecologist has recommended that I start taking a low dose estrogen birth control pill to control my bleeding. Is it safe, at my age, to take an low dose estrogen pill and are there any concerns I should have about estrogen linked to possible breast ca? My Dr. explained to me that by taking the low dose birth control pill it may stave off hysterectomy

Dr Brims :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr Brims :

Taking a low dose estrogen pill does not carry a major risk or breast cancer at all

Dr Brims :

It doesn't carry a major risk of endometrial cancer either

Dr Brims :

May I ask if she wants you to take a combined contraceptive pill or just estrogen?

Customer:

It was my concern that being "estrogen dominant" with added extra intake of estrogen could possibly increase a risk of breast Ca. She (the Dr.) just recommended me taking solely oral contraceptive

Dr Brims :

Okay, breast CA is not as much of a risk as endometrial CA with estrogen, another risk is blood clots,I would recommend you ask her to take combined hormone therapy instead of only estrogen, but low dose estrogen carries less of a risk

Customer:

I appreciate your input and your recommendation. What exactly is combined hormone therapy?

Dr Brims :

It is a pill wit estrogen and progesterone, most pills contain one, or both of them

Customer:

Thank you. Last question: why do suggest estrogen with progesterone? Is it because of my age?

Dr Brims :

No, it is because it decreases the risk of cancer, blood clots and other complications

Customer:

Oh!! I am with you on that!! Thank you for your explanation and recommendation. I feel better informed. Have a good Night, thanks again!

Dr Brims :

You're very welcome