Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

I was taking solodyn for my acne treatment and I found out

I was taking solodyn for my acne treatment and I found out I'm pregnant. I'm only two weeks in. Will that affect my baby?
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer.

How did you come about to find that you are two weeks along? I need this information to as it might give us an idea of whether you mean you are two weeks from conception or implantation.

This information will be helpful in determining the likelihood of any effects to the baby. I'll be standing by for your reply.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The last time my boyfriend and I had any sexual activity was about a little longer then two weeks ago and I took my pregnancy test today since I missed my period and the test said im pregnant. Hope that helps.
Thank you for the details.

And congratulations on your pregnancy!

I'm going to go into a bit of detail about conception, so that you can understand that your embryo has likely only briefly been exposed to any medication in your blood stream.

Sperm can survive up to 5 days in the female reproductive tract. This is why when trying to get pregnant it is good to have sex a day or two before or after ovulation.

Ovulation (when your egg is released from the ovary) usually occurs at day 14 (counting from the 1st day of your last period and if you have an average 28 day cycle).

After ovulation, the egg is capable of fertilization for 12 to 24 hours.

Union of the sperm and egg (conception) occurs while the egg is still in the fallopian tube. Over the next seven days, embryo undergoes multiple cell divisions until it becomes a mass of organized cells, called a blastocyst. At day 5 or 6, it hatches out of its covering (zona pellucida) and begins the process of implantation in the uterus. Only after implantation does the embryo begin to form a placenta and become connected to your blood stream. So at this point, when it connects with your blood stream, is when it can be effected by medications that you have taken. From what you are saying, it doesn't sound like your fetus would have connected to your blood stream for but a few days.

The main concern or side effect occurring from Solodyne and/or minocycline is skeletal bone growth retardation.

Because bone formation is not even an issue at this point, it is very unlikely that your fetus will be effected in any way by the solodyne

Another effect of minocycline or solodyne is on the teeth... but the teeth are only effected if you are taking the minocycline in the last few months of pregnancy.

So in this way your baby will not be effected either.

I hope this provides you with relief.

By the way, when health care providers figure your pregnancy, they actually count the first week as the first date of your last menstrual period. They don't count from the actual date of conception or implantation, since this can be difficult to discern.

Let me know if you need further explanation or details. I'm standing by in case you do.