A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My blood results came in mail and Im in a panic. Abnormalities,

My blood results came in mail and I'm in a panic. Abnormalities, please help.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Please post the results, along with the reference range beside each.

Thanks,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, thanks for your help. I THOUGHT I was a healthy 32 year old male, but I have anxiety, so I'm quite nervous. Here is the ranges of the ABNORMAL ONES:

WBC COUNT 12.10 REFERENCE 4.5-11
MCH 33 REFERENCE 27-31
NEUTS, AUTOMATED 85.2 REFERENCE 42-75
LYMPHS, AUTOMATED 10 REFERENCE 20-51
EOS, AUTOMATED .4 REFERENCE 1-5
ABS NEUTROPHILS 10.31 1.45-6.5

I'm so scared, but no idea on how far off these are.

Happy to help. It looks like you may have or be getting a slight cold or other virus. None of these is seriously outside the reference ranges.

Neutrophils, lymphocytes, and eosinophis are three of the five types of white blood cells. Basophils and monocytes are the other two. When one or more is up, others are usually down.

There is certainly nothing in the results to worry about.

Reference ranges or averages will always only account for 2/3 of people. The rest when they are just a bit outside of the reference range, may be completely healthy and the results are normal for them. In any event these aren't enough out of normal to raise an eyebrow about.

If you check again in a few weeks, they should be back within reference range.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Schuyler... you really relieved a lot of fear for me. The doctor said it looks like I have some drainage in my throat and I began taking allergy medicine yesterday. It could be something as simple as that?

Do my abnormal numbers indicate leukemia or lymphoma or a type of cancer, or are they close enough to the normal ranges to be okay?

Yes, that sounds like exactly what it is. You're getting a slight upper respiratory or maybe a sinus infection. The numbers certainly don't indicate anything like cancer. You can quit worrying about the blood test results. Try some hot tea with honey and lemon if the drainage gets bad. It soothes your throat and even helps the coughing that usually comes along with drainage.

Hope you feel better soon.Smile

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry to be a pest, I promise I'll accept the answer. I'd double the price if I could. I'm a worrier and have high anxiety, fun stufff!

Anyways, so, these numbers, even the lymphs, automated being at 10 when the range is 20-51 isn't a ridiculously low number in terms of cancer readings?

I feel good, but I had my nose cauterized 2 months ago and I think there is drainage involved with that leaving 'drainage marks' on my throat. My doctor left the office for the day and I was in absolute panic. Glad to hear it's nothing out of the realm of cancer.

May I ask one more question? I really do apologize if I'm a pest... My Triglycerides were 181 , slightly high. Cholesterol 183.

Nope, you don't need to worry about lymphocytes of 10.

Triglycerides are fats in the blood stream before they are deposited as fats elsewhere in the body. We like for them to be under 150. A decrease in dietary fats ans simple carbohydrates along with an increase in exercise usually solves the problem without any medication when they are only 183. Total cholesterol all by itself isn't terribly useful. You need to look at the total lipid panel including LDL and HDL. Here are the expected readings.

Total cholesterol: below 200 mg/dL

LDL: below 100 mg/dL

Triglycerides: below 150 mg/dL

HDL: Above 50 mg/dL for men and above 60 mg/dL for women. The higher the better.

Best regards,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, last question, you've been so helpful and for what it is worth, you've eased the mind of a 32 year old with OCD and anxiety. The Neuts, Automated of 85.2 aren't cause for alarm either or the 12.10 for WBC Count?

These just could be my normal ranges or allergies?

No, none of the results are cause for alarm. They are what you might expect for someone with a mild infection.

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Doctor didn't show an infection at physical or indicate one, could it be allergies too causing this?

Yes it could. You are getting that drainage from somewhere - either an infection or allergies.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist