Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS

how long does it take for singular to leave your system if

how long does it take for singular to leave your system if it was taken for 4 yrs
Hello and thank you for your question.

Singulair (montelukast) has a plasma clearance average of 45 ml/min in healthy adults (and children typically have a faster elimination). This means it rapidly is eliminated from the blood stream. It is then eliminated from the body via the liver and bile (and bile is eliminated via the intestinal trac via feces). Following an oral dose, the drug was not detectable after a 5 days (via feces).

In other words Singulair is not detectable in blood or urine within a day (or two at most), and not detectable in the feces beyond 5 days.

That a child has taken the medication for 6 years, does not effect the elimination rate. Even if the child had severe metabolic problems, the drug might take only a few more days than the total of 5 days via feces, but not more than this.

This should answer your questions, but if you need any clarification, please reply (please don't rate me until you are happy with your answer)

Thank you. I'm standing by in case you have further questions about this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So the fact that he has been taking it for so long doesn't mean anything when it comes to the side effects because the pediatrician doent believe the singular had anything to do with his behavior

Maybe it would help if you told me exactly what the problem is, because I thought you were asking how long it took to get the medication out of his system.

Do you need to know about side effects from singulair? Is your son still taking it? Please clarify so that I can help you better.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No he has stop taking them since last week and he has been having behavior issues in school b4 then and a lot of the side effects I have been seeing my be attributed to the use and how soon after would I be seeing a difference in his behavior

Ok, the medication should be out of his system by now. So if the medication was causing problems, you should begin to see improvement soon, like right away.

It is a fact that Singulair can cause mood or behavior changes, anxiety, depression.

Physical side effects that may be seen include things such as tremor, bruising, skin rash, upset stomach, tiredness (as with all drugs, typically a person does not have all the side effects, this is just a list) There can also be behavioral side effects such as

So if you find that the side effects that you see are not improving, then it may mean there are other issues (as you likely know).

Does this help? Let me know if you have more questions, I am here to help you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Wht do u mean by tremors and will they go away also he does do something whr we flicka his fingers like he's getting excited

Tremors are listed as a potential side effect of Singulair. Tremors are like shaking - for example, if you hold your hand out and see it tremoring or shaking, that is a tremor.

But, if it has been a week since your son had the singulair, he would not be having tremors form the singulair. The tremors only last while the singulair is in his system, and it is out now.

Also, it sounds like flicking his fingers, as you mention, is different than tremors.
Is he taking any other medications? Is he having any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No other meds

Ok. I was just wondering if it was possible that something else was causing problems. Well, if this doesn't go away, (any current symptoms) feel free to let me know more about them and perhaps we could provide you with recommendations.

If there is anything else I can help you with, please let me know.