Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  BSN, MSN, CNS
8413180

I have been very congested just in the sinus area for 4 days

I have been very congested just in the sinus area for 4 days now.Started out w/a little burning in the throat area. Glands are not swollen. I have beeen taking robitusin multi symptom gel caps AND ALTERNATING WITH MUCINEX DM since Saturday.
i have somewhat clear mucus but alot of it. not too much of a fever.
is it safe to exercise? should I see a doctor because my symptoms are not improving?
Category: Health
Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
Hello, and thanks for using JustAnswer.

Have you tried steam inhalation (an easy way is steaming up the bathroom with the shower, and sitting and perhaps reading for about 15 minutes maybe up to 3 times per day), neti pot or saline rinses, or any measures such as this? This measures can often improve the symptoms by helping to relieve congestion.

Regarding exercise, it is usually okay if there is not a fever and you do not feel tired. it i Just don't exercise to an extreme at this time (take it easy), and get plenty of rest (even more important when 'under attack' potentially with a virus) and the old adage about plenty of fluids is important as well, as long as they are not overly sweet. Dilute fruit juices are helpful, if you don't like plain water.

If you try these measures for a day or two and continue to worsen, then seeing a physician might be suggested, or if you had a high prolonged fever develop.

Please reply if you have any questions at all.... (don't rate me until you have asked all you would like to ask).
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok, sounds like good advice. should I still continue taking the medication that I am taking as well as the nasal and steam recommendations?

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
If you feel that the medication you are taking is helpful you can continue it. But I personally would recommend just plain pseudoephedrine (usually is held behind the counter of the pharmacy now, and you have to sign for it) because it dries up the excess mucus so well. The only reason you would not want to take pseudoephedrine, is if you have high blood pressure or heart rate (because it can be a little stimulating) and do not take it at night, take it in the morning (long acting would be suggested, otherwise you might need another dose mid day). This may be a component of one of the medications that you are taking, but typically, with those combination products you are getting other medications that might make you drowsy and that are just not necessary.

Let me know if you still have a question.
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Experience: BSN, MSN, CNS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you for your advice.sounds like i am going to be okSmile

Expert:  Susan Ivy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome! And yes, you should be ok, usually these things just pass in a few days if you are fairly healthy, which it sounds like you are since you exercise.