Dr. R. Bora
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the emergency room.
11246089

I have fluttering sensations in both ears often during the

Customer Question

I have fluttering sensations in both ears often during the waking period while still lying in bed. They also occur during times of stress or anxiety. I have read here that, "fluttering tinnitus could be caused by spasms of the tensor tympani muscle in your ear." It has come to the point of great distraction and discourse. It also seems to accompany a pulling or tension in the indention behind the ear and slightly down the neck. Having this condition off and on for months I realize its not infection/wax buildup/live bugs. I have been on Paxil and read of side affects of shocks in the head. Not knowing what that meant I thought maybe they were describing ear flutters.

Read more: My ear keeps having a flutter and it is ... - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/health/0vemr-ear-keeps-having-flutter.html#ixzz2JNCn4rat
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. R. Bora replied 1 year ago.

Dr. R. Bora :

Hello and welcome, I am happy to help you today.

Dr. R. Bora :

So have you seen an ENT specialist lately?

Customer: Never
Dr. R. Bora :

Any problem with hearing?

Customer: Not really other than the general complaints of a wife
Dr. R. Bora :

OK. The fluttering of the ears known as tinnitus is mostly the result of "frayed nerves" associated with aging. However, some other reasons are wax build up, ear fluid build up due to infections.

Customer: I did have several teeth capped over the past two years and the fluttering has begun since then. Dentist did the whole occlusal bite thing with grinding so that all my teeth meet at the same instance.
Customer: No infection or wax
Dr. R. Bora :

Thanks. I do not think that the fluttering is related to the capping.

Dr. R. Bora :

Some things can make tinnitus worse, such as aspirin or ibuprofen, excess salt and caffeine consumption, loud noises, and smoking. Some attribute the cause, at least in part, to key vitamin or mineral deficiencies, including magnesium and B vitamins (especially associated with nerve health), so make sure your diet is good.

Customer: Just a thought as it has moved my bite back and adjusted the muscle movement
Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, that may cause hearing problems due to nerve injury, which you do not have.

Customer: Why is it so prominent during times of stress or anxiety?
Dr. R. Bora :

There is no definite reason for that but stress t it though it is commonly seen during stress.

Customer: ?
Customer: Due to typo I don't understand your last entry
Dr. R. Bora :

Sorry, I meant that stress and anxiety tends to exacerbate tinnitus symptoms although there is no scientific basis for that.

Dr. R. Bora :

Just like stress can cause many other symptoms like heart pounding, breathlessness, tiredness and so on.

Customer: Equilabration is what the dentist called it
Dr. R. Bora :

Which one?

Customer: Teeth grinding
Dr. R. Bora :

Ok.

Dr. R. Bora :

For the tinnitus, you should see an ENT specialist who can guide you for requisite treatment.

Customer: To make the correct bite. But it pulled my mandible joint back where it seemed to be in a bit of a bind
Customer: And that is the area of the fluttering
Dr. R. Bora :

Do you have difficulty / pain while chewing in that area?

Customer: No pain. What are the possible remedies for the fluttering? It is very bad some days.
Customer: Sometimes almost constant.
Dr. R. Bora :

You can take a drug known as flunarizine from your GP as it is a prescription drug.

Customer: Where I can't function and I'm an attorney
Dr. R. Bora :

Sorry?

Customer: Is that a type of muscle relaxer?
Dr. R. Bora :

No, flunarizine is prescribed for tinnitus.

Customer: Did you read about the Paxil in my query?
Dr. R. Bora :

Anti anxiety medicines like alprazolam helps to quieten tinnitus during stress.

Customer: Ok
Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, I have read about paxil.

Dr. R. Bora :

Yes, tinnitus can sometimes cause tinnitus.

Dr. R. Bora :

Sorry, paxil can sometimes cause tinnitus.

Dr. R. Bora :

This can be treated with flunarizine too.

Dr. R. Bora :

You can also use a "masking device" which is often prescribed for tinnitus.

Dr. R. Bora :

It can be used as a small machine behind the ear.

Customer: Alprazolam anything like Praxil? Praxil has some terrible side affects for me
Dr. R. Bora :

Alprazolam is a mild anti anxiety medicine that should be taken before bed time.

Customer: Small machine?
Dr. R. Bora :

"Masking device"or masker looks like a hearing aid device that can be worn behind the ear.

Customer: I sleep with a bedside fan. Could that be a cause or affect in some way?
Dr. R. Bora :

It might disturb your sleep.

Customer: Ok, thanks. I have taken enough of your time
Dr. R. Bora :

I think I have provided you all possible ways of dealing with the tinnitus!!

Dr. R. Bora :

hope you have a good day ahead!

Customer: Fan is soothing to me.
Dr. R. Bora :

Yeah!

Dr. R. Bora :

Please remember to choose accept or to rate me excellent service ( 5 or 4 positive rating)to give credit for my answer and time.Bonuses are warmly appreciated.

Customer: Good day!
Dr. R. Bora :

You are welcome.

Customer: Bonuses?
Dr. R. Bora :

Customer: Are bonuses sometime in addition to 5 rating?
Customer: Like a monetary bonus?
Dr. R. Bora :

The 5 rating will give me "half of 19 dollar.

Dr. R. Bora :

You can just press the 5 rating!

Dr. R. Bora :

That will be good...

Customer: It's $38. You don't get much, but I'll see that you get the bonus
Dr. R. Bora :

Thanks!

Customer: Adios!
Dr. R. Bora :

If you have any new questions for me, please address me as DR. BORA in the opening statement of the question.

Customer: Ok!
Customer: One last thing. Can I access this chat later?
Dr. R. Bora :

Not this chat but you can again request me for a chat as DR. BORA.

Customer: Ok
Dr. R. Bora, Doctor
Experience: 14 years experience in the emergency room.