Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

why are my legs getting weaker

why are my legs getting weaker

Welcome and thanks for your question , one of the most common factors why legs become weaker is the presence of an herniated lower back disc . When the intervertebral disc slips out of place , producing surrounding tissue inflammation and sciatic nerve compression .

There are many conditions that could make you more vulnerable to have this condition from previous pelvic injuries , joint and bone degenerative conditions like osteoarthritis ( when people get older there is a greater tendency to lose cartilage tissue producing joint inflammation and irritation ) ,spinal stenosis ( in which the space between your spine upper or lower discs become very narrow producing nerve root compression) or spine masses . When the nerve that regulates your leg movements is pinched or compressed , your legs become weaker and can not work properly .

There are other conditions that could also produce leg weakness specially muscular diseases or neurological diseases ( specially those ones in which the immune system mistakenly attacks your healthy nerve or muscle cells or blocks certain neurotransmitters like multiple sclerosis or myastenia gravis ) . However , these conditions are extremely rare .

Besides giving you pain medications , there are other alternatives from injecting corticosteroids or performing surgery to decompress the pinched nerve . These treatments combined with physical therapy could improve your symptoms and the weakness you have been experiencing .

If this doctor has treated you only with paracetamol and you have not experienced any relief , You should consult other doctor preferably a Neurologist to receive a better treatment.

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.