Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

For two years last October, I have been sick. I had an infection

For two years last October, I have been sick. I had an infection that the doctor said went systemic in September 2010. Antibiotics got rid of the in fection and I felt better. Then the middle of October, Iwoke up and had bad edema in my legs, feet, ankles, and hands. My shoulder blade mucsles felt like i had pulled them. As time went on, my mucsles started getting very hard and lumping out. Since then my symptoms are hard and tender mucsles, chest pain, edema, joint pain, stomach pain, exxcessive belching, diahrria, vomiting, nausea, headaches, fatigue, shortness of breath, muscle weakness, falls, problems with concentration and memory, and lack of mobility. Whatever this is, it has spread throughout my whole body. My gullbladder was removed July 2011 due to being full of cholesterol and infection, but my stomach problems didn't improve. I have had 75000 dollars worth of tests and procedures and numerous specialists. Right now my diagnosises are sleep apnea, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, osteoarthritis, and fibromyalgia. 4 out of 6 doctors ive seen think it is a form of myositis(poly or derma). This week im having another sonogram of bile duct and liver and a CT Scan. I'm due in February to have a complete scope of stomach and in march, i'm going to a neurologist for a mucsle biopsy. My husband and I are extremely frustrated and tired of no answers. We know something is wrong and doctors just say I am a difficult case. Please help
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 1 year ago.

Greetings Tanya.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

I assume that your hormonal and immunological work up was negative?
What are the specialists you have consulted?
What are your present medications?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

my connective panel shows a high ra factor and another test was high for inflamation in my muscles. my meds are lisenopril, lasix, patassium, nitro, breathing treatment, cpap, prevastatin, aspirin, plaquenil, vitamin d because it is very low.

Hello Tanya,

Since when are you taking Pravastatin?
Was a parathyroid hormone assay normal?

Dr. Arun
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

prevastatin started last december and parathyroid is good, heart cathter done in may 2011 showed some blockage and left ventricle operating at 50 %

Thanks Tanya for the further information.

Pravastatin is known to be responsible for all kind of muscle issues. So if your symptoms started after the medication; adverse effects need to be considered. Please see this resource which shows the significant muscle issues;

Myalgia

Myopathy

Rhabdomyolysis

http://reference.medscape.com/drug/pravachol-pravastatin-342460#4

Raised muscle enzymes do occur with the statins.

If your symptoms were persisting before the starting of Pravastatin, immunological disease like dermatomyositis or polymyositis is the likely possibility (as has been proposed), and those can only be confirmed by the muscle biopsy. A neuropathy is another diagnostic consideration for your manifestations and is again established by the skin and nerve biopsy.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine