Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD
3310972

My husband has something wrong with his eyeballs. They become

My husband has something wrong with his eyeballs. They become excruciating painful and he cannot bear to keep them open sometimes. This weekend was awful. He was in so much pain that he was in bed by 7 PM. The eye doctor says that his antibodies are attacking h destroying his eyeball. He offered no therapy. What is going on? What is this issue? Is there any therapy? Any way to slow it down? Will it cost him his vision?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 4 years ago.

Welcome and thanks for your question , even if there is an autoimmune condition affecting his eyes ( in which the immune cells mistakenly are attacking his eye tissues ) . Some treatment could be given at least to delay the whole degenerative process , some medications like corticosteroids could decrease the attack and regulate his immune system overreaction .

He should consult other Ophthalmologist to have an adequate examination and to have a second opinion . There are some many conditions that can produce this intense eyeball pain from : the presence of a blockage in the tear ducts , immune disorders like Sjogren Syndrome ( in this condition , the immune cells attack the salivary and tear producing glands , the eye does not have proper lubrication , becomes dry ,painful and vulnerable to damage ), uveitis,scleritis or keratitis ( inflammation of the middle or external eye membrane or the cornea ) and /or glaucoma ( in this condition , the eye internal pressure increases due to an increased production of aqueous humor fluid or decreased outflow ) .

If the second eye doctor does not treat him properly , what he should do consulting a Rheumatologist ( this specialist deals specifically with autoimmune disorders ) who could determine what underlying condition he has , the treatment could include corticosteroids or immunesuppressant medication like cyclosporine or methotrexate ) . These medications will basically decrease the attack of the immune cells against his eyeballs ).

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today.

Good luck to you and have a good day ! When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Keratitis! I think tgat is what the ophth had said to him. Sounds a bit familiar.

Is there a therapy for that?

Thanks!
Yes , there is therapy but the treatment really depends of what condition is producing it .

In keratitis , the cornea becomes inflamed , if there is an infectious process , antibiotics , antiviral ,antifungals or antiparasite medications are prescribed . Apparently , his case is product of an autoimmune condition instead of an infection , in that case , the patient should receive immune suppressant medications or corticosteroids .

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you!