Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I have been tracking a vaccine that is going through clinical

I have been tracking a vaccine that is going through clinical trials called HerpV which is designed to be a therapeutic treatment for those already infected with hsv2. The vaccine has just entered phase II trials (october 2012), my question is...what is an optimistic final public release of this vaccine if everything goes well in phase II and III and what is a pessimistic public release date? thanks.
Category: Health
Expert:  Family Physician replied 1 year ago.
Typically, it can take 2-5 years or more for a drug/vaccine to go from the stage II trials to approval/distribution.

There are many potential delays along the way including failure of a clinical trial to show effectiveness, issues with safety identified in trials that require additional safety studies (or even withdrawal of a potential product from further testing).

Have you considered enrolling in a clinical trial?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes i've considered it but there are a few problems. 1: all of the trials currently going on for herpes are for type 2, i've got type 1. Secondly i'm a pilot in the military so i don't think the military would approve of me participating in experimental medicine while flying a multi-million dollar craft.

OK...
What symptoms are you currently experiencing?

What treatment if any have you been given?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well i just recently contracted this in the last week and the outbreak has been ongoing for about a week, seems to be finally subsiding now though, haven't been able to get to the doctor yet for valtrex due to a hectic schedule, planning on doing that on monday. I never get sick so i'm hoping after this first outbreak my immune system will have built up enough antibodies to it and combined with the valtrex that should keep it in check, what do you think.

Where is the outbreak?

How do you know that this is Type 1 - did you have testing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The outbreaks are around edges of lips, got it after kissing a woman so i just figured it was probably hsv1 after researching hsv online.

Is this your first outbreak or have you had repeated outbreaks?

If repeated, how often?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This is my first outbreak.

The vast majority of adults do have antibodies against Type 1 HSV, and most do not get repeated outbreaks.

If you do get repeated outbreaks, your doctor could prescribe you Valtrex to take as needed. I will give my patients a prescription for Valtrex 1 gram tabs to be taken 2 at the first sign of an outbreak (often patients experience tingling at the site before any other signs) and 2 tabs taken 12 hours later. If they have the pills at home, they can start immediately any time of day or night.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

when you say most adults have antibodies to hsv1, does that mean most adults have herpes type 1?

Yes - more than half of adults in the USA have antibodies against HSV1 - much larger than HSV2. This recent article gives the stats:
http://jama.jamanetwork.com/data/Journals/JAMA/5033/JOC60113.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well i guess that's good to know, herpes is so stigmatizing.

One more question, in my panic after contracting this i scoured the internet for any information i could find on it, one thing i came across was a trial done in france where they used the Varicella vaccine (chickenpox vaccine) against hsv1/2 just to see if there was any cross immunity since the all 3 viruses are closely related, their results were astonishing...of the 24 patients who were hsv 1 or 2 positive all of them saw their outbreaks decrease to 0. i'm not sure if this was a hoaxed study but some credible doctors have their names attached to it. This is the link to it:

http://www.dovepress.com/efficacy-of-the-anti-vzv-anti-hsv3-vaccine-in-hsv1-and-hsv2-recurrent--peer-reviewed-article-OAJCT

The link shows the summary of the study and results, at the bottom of the page is a PDF button which will give you a download of the study in it's entirety. Please let me know if you think this is legitimate or a hoax of some kind. Thanks.

I have been in practice long enough to remember the "old days" before the introduction of antiviral medications such as Valtrex. I do remember some of the "older" doctors in my training giving patients Smallpox vaccine for exactly this reason.

There are potential serious risks associated with the smallpox vaccine, so this is NOT something that is currently recommended.

As I mentioned, over 50% of adults in the USA have antibodies (which means that have been infected) with HSV1 - the virus that causes "cold sores". I would honestly RELAX and not get so concerned about any stigma about this virus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

This was the chickenpox vaccine, not the smallpox vaccine, do you think there is any truth to this being effective?

Oops.... for some reason when I misread your post...

I did read that article - it is interesting, but much too small of a study to prove effectiveness. The varicella vaccine is currently recommended for universal use, so there really is no reason why you could not get this vaccine.

Honestly, most people don't get recurrent outbreaks. Over 50% of the adults are infected, but many of these people don't get recurrent attacks or get rare attacks.
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years