Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

Im 70 yrs old. Does Valium 10 mg. a day increase your risk

I'm 70 yrs old. Does Valium 10 mg. a day increase your risk for alzheimers or dementia?
Thank you for your question:

Why are you using the Valium?

Are you having symptoms that caused you to be concerned about dementia?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I said that I have TMJ and have daily headaches. My neurologist gave my effexor and valium to alleviate muscle related headaches. I have fibromyalgia and have a lot of pain. No dementia symtoms.

There MAY be an association between long-term use of benzodiazepines (such as Valium) and the development of dementia. This is not something that is proven, but suggested by some studies. Here is a relatively recent article on this issue:

There are other risks associated with use of benzodiazepines including an increased risk of traffic accidents
and a increased risk of falls and hip fractures in elderly patients

Obviously, without your complete medical history, a physical examination and possibly some testing it is not possible (or even ethical) for me to make specific recommendations on treatment. I hope this information helps you discuss treatment options with your physician.