Andy PhD DABT
Andy PhD DABT, Toxicologist
Experience:  Board certified with 17 years in research or consulting
58853142

For Andy PhD DABT "or" a toxicologist or chemist: I am one

For Andy PhD DABT "or" a toxicologist or chemist: I am one that worries about having chemical reactions from accidently mixing my household cleaners ect. For example I usually use organic or vinager solutions to clean with but on occasion for flu germs or what not I will use the disinfecting wipes one contains thymol, one has ammonium chloride type like the Lysol and the other is just regular bleach type, those and any others that may use, I worry about mixing not that I ever would use them at the same time but I even worry about vapors crossing for example if I use Lysol in a bedroom to wipe off a nightstand will it react and cause toxins on the air if I use bleach in the next room in the kitchen. Or another example would be if I use Lysol then the next day go over it without bleach or vice versa would that cause a reaction as none are rinsed off. Another one that I worry about is I have a sanitizing washer and dryer and I have clothing that are polyester or that has plastic buttons and some even are acrylic and then I have foam pillows and wonder if heating to the sanitizing degree will release any toxins from these materials, for another example my pillows say spot clean only and I wonder if they will be ok (not worried about damage more worried about germs) and wonder if they will actually release toxins. One big thing I worry about is the genie bras they have a foam padding and breasts are something that seem so susceptible to chemicals and I wash and dry these bras (label says remove padding before drying) but many times I have forgotten and dried and my dryer is super hot.
Category: Health
Expert:  Camille-Mod replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the Moderator for this topic. Andy is not available right now, but I have sent him a message to follow up with you here, when he comes back online. If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience!

Camille

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! :). Do you have any chemist or anything similar?
No, I'm sorry we do not at this time. Andy will respond as soon as he gets online. Thank you for your continued patience.

Camille
Expert:  Andy PhD DABT replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for asking for me by name, I appreciate that. Your concerns about mixing the cleaners a day apart or in different rooms it not a concern. Any harmful vapors that would be created are dependent on the amount of the chemicals that actually mix and react. Such small amounts of cleaners might mix, but it would not be enough to produce harmful levels of vapors. The main issue with mixing cleaners is if you mix them together before you use them to clean, so that you have large amounts of each cleaner directly mixed into one cleaning solution.

There is no harm in heating up the plastic buttons in your washing machine, buttons are very hard and don't contain significant amounts of harmful additives. The foams will depend on the type of foam. Some such as urea formaldehyde foam (used a lot in furniture cushions) could cause a problem, but others would not, so it does depend on the type of foam used. If you can tell me what kind of foam it is, I could give you a better answer.

Take care,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well thats the thing I called the company and they dont know. One is actual foam from a padded bra. they just said it was foam. I know clothing has a lot of formaldehyde in it, so im not sure? see I have the sanatizing washer AND dryer, so i was discinfecting all the clothes and I used the sanatizing mode which i know heats up super hot im assuming and used the steam clean too. A lot of pillows say dont machine wash so lately I've adheard to that though it says maybe wash in cold or warm, but i used sanitize and threw it in with the rest of my clothing, and my mattress protector is also made from (it is white and clear) made from polyeurathane?

Wanted to edit this went and looked at label. My matress protector (looks like a sheet but looks like a plasticy look with a terry cloth top and plasticy bottom anways it says on label: machine wash hot tumble dry medium do not iron. says main panel 80% cotton, 20% polyester lining 100% polyurethane laminate and skirt part says 100% polyester.

now the other things i washed that im concerned is you know that polyester batting in pillows? the little tiny hairs looks like, i think thats plastic? not sure what exactly but heres the label on one of my pillows:

all new material consisting of polyeser fiber 100% says fill is 100% polyester. Care machine was in warm water tumble dry warm iron if needed.

the other concern is my big conforters that have the about same labels though i think it may say tumble dry low. they are polyester filled im almost certain, and then i have a linen quilt.

the thing that scares me silly is i put a foam padded bra in the washer AND dryer on sanatize mode in WITH all my clothes and worry it may have been contaminated the rest of the clothes?

I also washed shoes they are like the memory foam type houseshoes label says machine wash cold no bleach dry flat, they are dearfoams and say manmade upper doesnt say the fill or foam type...i looked on dearfoams site and this is what it said:

Cushioning: Dearfoams pioneered foam-cushioned slippers. Dearfoams slippers are made with high-density foam and may include memory foam or heel wedge.>

FEATURES

Memory Foam: Memory foam (also known as visco elastic polyurethane foam) is a type of foam with added density that is pressure sensitive and molds quickly to the shape of the body, and becomes more pliable when warmed by body heat. Select Dearfoams styles add memory foam to our already authentic, high-density foam for an enhanced level of comfort.

worried about wearing or sleepind under these comforters that i washed in high heat and WITH the foam if contaminant?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also wanted to say we are trying to sanatize a couch and loveseat and recliner for possible MRSA and was going to bleach it, and maybe use a steamer to it, would that be bad? it would be done outside

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So besides the problem we may face with cleaning the couch, im wondering if my clothing that i washed with the foam ect is ok to use or is contaminated etc. i have questions above on each as well.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Also when you said there may be a problem, what kind of problem in any of this would i get into? for example, what precautions, what do i need to do to make it better, or what should i "not" do.

The polyester in your pillows should not be a concern, polyester holds up to high temperatures and it not full of so many volatile additives as polyurethane foams. There are some concerns about polyurethane/memory foam, which is very soft and has some additives. There is not much data out there on the effects of being exposed to these foams in consumer products, so I really can't give you a definitive answer.

New memory foam can give off a lot of vapors when it is new, but these go away over time. Heating the foams will speed up this process and will make the vapors go away faster. Washing the foam in the washing machine will also probably accelerate the removal of the volatile chemicals, but probably won't be a big concern for contaminating your other cloths. This is because what ever chemicals are removed will go into the soapy water in your washing machine and will mostly be washed away with the soap and water. What is left would be very small and since they are mostly volatile, would likely be removed as they would be vaporized by the high heat of the dryer and send out through the dryer vent. So I don't think your slippers or padded bra are a concern either.

Also breasts are not more sensitive to chemicals than most other parts of your body, so just because the foam is near your breasts doesn't mean that your breasts are at an extra risk. The biggest way these chemicals might get to you would be from breathing them anyway and in that case they would get to other parts of your body as well.

Now the amount of foam in a bra or slipper is very small, so the potential that harmful amounts of these chemicals could get into your body is very low. Small amounts of these chemicals are usually not a major health problem.

About your couch, I have to ask why do you think there is a risk of MRSA? I don't think bleach would be a good idea. I don't think it is really possible to sanitize a couch, it is just so porous and it would be very hard to sanitize the inside of the cushions. You can use a steam cleaner, but again it would only sanitize on the surface of the couch. If you are truly concerned about the condition of your couch you may need to just replace it, but I wonder why you are worried about MRSA on the couch.

So, overall I don't think you have to worry about these products. Especially if they are not very new as the chemicals that leach out decrease with time and would not be a problem for that long. So I don't think you are causing any adverse health effects from using the sanitize setting on your washer.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks concerning the couch it's actually two sets of living room sets sort of, mrsa concern is that my dog had cancer and had open wounds for the past year or two and would ooze on the couch if she brushed onto it at the botXXXXX XXXXXke where your legs would go she couldn't get upon the couch just rubbed the sides and front bottom. She had secondary foliculiosus which may be caused by staph and we were gonna kind of soak the areas in front and sides with bleach water maybe shampoo not sure if steam would kill mrsa or how long it can survive? Would there be toxic reactions it has polyurathane foam in it?

MRSA will only live on upholstery for about a month. So if it has been longer than a month it probably is not a concern. If it has not been that long, then you can try disinfecting the couch. I would not try bleach since it might damage the couch, but it shouldn't cause a toxic reaction. You might want to try lysol or similar disinfectants on the areas your dog came in contact with the couch.

Take care,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks I read somewhere that it could live on some surfaces for up to 3 months but didnt seem like the sources I read online were very confident. Do you know which surfaces it lives the longest? Its been 17 days.

Expert:  replied 1 year ago.

Bacteria would live longer in porous materials like fabrics compared to hard surfaces where the bacteria is more directly exposed to the environment. More humid locations would also make it live longer. After 17 days, it might be reasonable to go ahead and try to disinfect the areas that might be contaminated. Below are links about disinfecting for MRSA, including products you can use.

Here is some additional information:
http://www.cdc.gov/mrsa/environment/index.html
http://epa.gov/oppad001/list_h_mrsa_vre.pdf

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Andy PhD DABT, Toxicologist
Experience: Board certified with 17 years in research or consulting
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks going to go ahead and rate before finished because I don't want this to close out. Is there any conclusive numbers for time frames staph and mrsa loves on certain surfaces?