Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

I keep getting bladder infections & vaginitisis, not sure of

I keep getting bladder infections & vaginitisis, not sure of spelling. I have had a colposcopy and nothing was found but that was 2yrs ago & I am still getting same & thrush on a regular basis at least once a month.

Are these all connected and could this be from too much cunninglis? Again spelling sorry

mysticdoc :

The views expressed by me are for educational purposes only and do not establish a doctor patient relationship.

mysticdoc :

mysticdoc :

Thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

Bladder and vaginal infection are more common in women.

mysticdoc :

Cunilingus can increase the risk of infections.

mysticdoc :

Also diabetes is another cause of frequent infections.

mysticdoc :

Some people are more prone for infection due to the hereditary reasons.

mysticdoc :

To prevent infection you should take a probiotic like yogurt daily.

mysticdoc :

and cranberry juice also helps to prevent infection.

mysticdoc :

Prophylactic antibiotic like nitrofurantoin and antifungal medication like fluconazole single dose can be used in resistant cases.

mysticdoc :

Best wishes,

mysticdoc : Thanks for your question.
mysticdoc : Bladder and vaginal infection are more common in women.
mysticdoc : Cunilingus can increase the risk of infections.
mysticdoc : Also diabetes is another cause of frequent infections.
mysticdoc : Some people are more prone for infection due to the hereditary reasons.
mysticdoc : To prevent infection you should take a probiotic like yogurt daily.
mysticdoc : and cranberry juice also helps to prevent infection.
mysticdoc : Prophylactic antibiotic like nitrofurantoin and antifungal medication like fluconazole single dose can be used in resistant cases.
mysticdoc : Best wishes
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your advice so far. I have 3 children & after each child my in labia increased in size, I have considered having same reduced and wondered if this could be adding to the problem, my partner thinks I'm wrong but I feel this could be where the bacteria & fungai gather no matter how often I wash.

That can be a factor as well.
Too much washing with soap or bodywash can change the vaginal ph making you prone for infection.
Hence this should be avoided also.
The most common cause of reinfection by vaginal fungal infection is the failure to treat the sexual partner at the same time resulting in passing of the infection to and fro.The treatment of both partners should be done at the same time to eradicate the possibility of the infection persisting in any one partner resulting in reinfection.Use of local antifungal creams and pessaries like Lotrimin/Clotrimazole and oral antifungal drugs like Fluconazole/Diflucan.
Recurrent bladder infections,as per mayo Clinic, are usually caused by bacteria entering the urethra during sexual activity,bladder stones,altered oestrogen levels during menopause,structural abnormality of the urinary tract and genetic predisposition.It would be best to consult a Doctor/Urologist who may advise a Urine culture and sensitivity test obtained by a sterile catheter,a Cystoscopy -(to see inside the urinary bladder with a lighted and a CT scan apart from other routine investigations.Ruling out causes of reduced immunity like Diabetes,chronic systemic disease,thyroid disorders may need to be ruled out.Excessive washing may cause irritation and promote infections.Wiping from front to after urinating and bowel movement,urinating after intercourse,drinking plenty of liquids,taking showers rather than baths and avoiding deoderant vaginal sprays will help prevent recurrent infections.Specific antibiotic therapy for the bacteria identified will help.
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience: MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice