Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

Hello Doc, I need your expert opinion regarding the itching

Hello Doc,

I need your expert opinion regarding the itching my husband has been facing since the last 2 years.

We tried the treatment for scabies, homeopathy, multivitamin dose however no go.
It is not communicable for sure as I didn't get them yet.
He has seen many doctors but no help.

For a couple of days, hours it becomes normal but then it always comes back.
He gets severe itching on his whole body especially on his back, his thighs, and arms.

Small Red abrupt spots become visible on the area which itches most.

I am scared. Please advise as in what tests should we get done to get the correct results and how soon and how can we get him cured.

Thanking in advance for your help!

Chronic pruritis is a common condition which may be difficult to treat and diagnose.It will need the help of your PCP,along with the dermatologist,immunologist and the Physician.The common conditions which would be the cause would include Atopic dermatitis,Eczema,Contact Dermatitis,Dermatitis herpetiformis,Pemhigoid,lichen planus,Psoriasis and Xerosis.Drug induced itching is another common cause along with chronic systemic renal or hepatic disease,metabolic disease like Diabetes and thyroid disorders will also cause urticaria.Causes of contact dermatitis would include exposure to Nickel,cosmetics including black hair dye,latex,nitrates in food preservatives,laundry detergents and fabric softeners,allergens in perfumes,ParaPhenyl Diamidemine in Paint on Tattoos/cadmium yellow and mercuric sulphide in tattoo dyes,.Occupational exposure may cause chronic rash and itching on exposure to plexiglass/Methyl metacrylate,Fibreglass,resins and epoxy resins in adhesives, cholinergic urticaria in response to exercise/hot water batch/cold induced urticaris,Polycythaemia vera,Hodgkin's disease,and itching associated with malignancies.Deficiency diseases like Anaemia,Neurodermatitis,parasitic infestations like scabies and lice,HIV infection,Scleroderma,Chronic cholestasis in liver disease and chronic renal failure are also associated with itching.Due to the wide range of causative factors,it will take patience and skill to identify and isolate the cause which may need the help of your doctor/Dermatologist.Visiting your Dermatologist and seeking the help of your PCP/Physician would be helpful as a starting point.