Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.

Hello- I teach and play tennis. 55 years old. Was playing,

Hello- I teach and play tennis. 55 years old. Was playing, stepped out wide for a ball onto left foot, twisted a little and got a shooting pain just under the left side of the kneecap. Could put weight on it. Hobbled over to bench and put ice on it for 20 min. At home I RICE'd it, took 4 ibuprofins. Next morning, felt much better, could walk, but some forward steps I feel a little of the pain I experienced night before (very little). Took more Motrin (4). Now I have to fly to London tonight. Keep RICE'ing? See an ortho when I get back? Frontal meniscal tear? Many thanks for your answer!
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

How long ago did this happen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yesterday night. Flying this evening...9 hour flight. Will this make the injury worse? Thx!

Hi there

No, it shouldn't make your injury worse. However, I would still continue the RICE method today and tomorrow. After that, you can just elevate if any swelling remains and then wrap with an ACE bandage to help support it. The ice is more for an immediate injury and heat will create inflammation, so try to not to use anything after the ice until you are about 5 or so days out.

From what you have described, it could just be a sprain/strain but a small meniscus tear can't be ruled out either. These occur by twisting or turning quickly (usually while the knee is still bent)...a very minor tear will usually heal on it's own within 3 weeks and shouldn't give you any trouble. A more moderate tear will swell and hurt to put pressure on it and the swelling will get worse over the immediate future (2-4 days). Sometimes a moderate tear will bother you for years to come and then there's the severe tear (which I do not think you have based on your description).

Try to stretch your knee/leg out as much as possible on your flight and even make several trips to the onboard restroom to exercise it (even if you don't need to go). Also, whenever you get to your destination, you can continue the ice but after tomorrow, you can discontinue the ice and just keep the ace bandage on it and take the advil as you need it.

You asked about going to an Orthopedist....only if your knee doesn't improve over the next few days or if it gets worse. Also, discontinue the tennis until your knee feels fully functional like before.

Reply back if I can help you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks. Will do!!

Thank you and let me know if I can help you in the future!
Just checking in to see how your flight went and how your knee is doing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Iced it through the flight. Iced in London. Feels much better, but I can tell I've done something, but don't think its serious. Thx!

Ok and thanks for the reply back. If your range of motion is not back to 100% in the next week, I'd go ahead and make the Ortho appointment and have the knee checked out since you teach and play tennis. It's something you will want to take care of so it won't continue to give you issues.

Thanks again for letting me know how things went and good luck!
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.