A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

have you heard of the new drug developed by MIT called DRACO

have you heard of the new drug developed by MIT called DRACO that causes cells infected with a range of different viruses to commit cell apoptosis?

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

DRACO is the acronym for Double-stranded RNA Activated Caspase Oligomerizer that is being developed as part of a larger project called PANACEA (Pharmacological Augmentation of Nonspecific Anti-pathogen Cellular Enzymes and Activities). It has shown considerable promise against a number of different viruses when tested on mice. After mice it will be tested on larger animals (pigs, for instance) to see if it works, and what side effects it might cause. Eventually it will be tested on humans if it passes all animal tests. It generally takes at least 10 years to bring a drug from this stage to market.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

For such a promising drug as this is there a possibility they could "fast track" the trials?

Once it gets further along the pipeline it may be fast-tracked if it continues to prove promising.

However, it is far too early to predict what will happen when it is tried on more complicated animals. There have been too many drugs rushed to market without knowing enough about them and what long-term side effects they may cause.

Fast track usually comes when the drug has shown promise in smaller human subject trials and we are still years away from the first test on humans.