A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

what is the new law or regulation that says the psychiatrists

what is the new law or regulation that says the psychiatrists have to report any dangerous thoughts to the authorities, please explain it

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

Psychiatrists (in fact, all medical providers) have always had to report to the police when their patients say they are having thoughts about harming themselves or others. It is a public safety measure.If the patient is unwilling to see psychiatric help immediately, a warrant can be obtained if necessary to commit the person for emergency psychiatric evaluation, which is typically a maximum of 3 days.

Please let me know if you have questions if this isn't what you are asking about.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So if this has been in place for a while already what does this new executive action change?

I'm sorry, but I'm not following you. What new executive action? Are you referring to the proposals that President Obama has recently made?