A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

How do I find out if my partner registers on the asd scale

How do I find out if my partner registers on the asd scale without him knowing. My 30 year old soon registers, my partners 9yo grandson registers, & all the indicators are there with my partner.

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

I'm sorry but there would be no way to obtain a diagnosis without the person involved knowing about it. While there may be some characteristics that your partner has that may resemble one of the Autism Spectrum Disorders, the actual diagnosis takes examination by trained providers (psychologist, psychiatrist, etc.) as well as a battery of tests. All require the cooperation of the patient.

Have you talked to your partner about this? He may also have had some of the same questions about himself and be willing to try to find out more about it.

I'm sorry there is no do-it-yourself method to diagnose it. Even MDs send their patients to psychologists or psychiatrists for diagnosis.

All the best,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, Schuyler, we have discussed this, & he said he might be. I find it challenging explaining concepts to him several times as he forgets he has even discussed stuff.

Thinking in anything but a straight line exhausts him & he goes to sleep. more than one request at a time & he only acts on the last request.He has bad arthritis, could these symptoms be a part of that?

In general osteoarthritis doesn't cause deficits in processing information. The medication one takes for pain could though, depending on what he takes and how much of it. Since he agrees there may be the possibility, he may be agreeable to having diagnostic tests run. There are many things orther than ASD that can cause fuzzy thinking, ranging from physical problems to things like depression and bipolar, and many other illnesses. There is treatment for most anything that is diagnosed that would make him feel better, so I hope he will discuss these problems with his medical provider. Once a diagnosis is made, treatment can begin.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Oh ok.

He is on so many different meds for his oa that they must be detrimental to his health, and he does not do the regular blood checks with his specialist. I encourage him to go regularly but he finds excuses not to. His symptoms are worrying me now as he is 55.

What sort of diagnostic tests need to be done? Other than bloods?

In the blood tests there will be specific things to look for. What a re these?

He is agreeable to blood tests but it's other tests he is reluctant about.

Complete blood tests can rule out problems with his liver, kidneys, etc. that could be causing symptoms. When someone is on a lot of medications, the side effects can be cumulative. Blood tests help determine if something is "out of whack" generally. The most important thing is for him to let his physician know about the problems/side effects he is experiencing. In addition to checking simple things like blood pressure, the physician may think about lesions of the brain which can come from any number of different disease processes. He may want to refer him to a psychologist for ASD testing. Testing there is a long conversation with the psychologist and then a multi-part questionaire. I guess you could tell him that the botXXXXX XXXXXne is if he doesn't get a diagnosis, he can't get treated and isn't likely to get any better. Just about anything can be made better, but we have to know what we are treating first.

Warm regards,