Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Hello, My 20 year old daughter, Alex is constantly concerned

My 20 year old daughter, Alex is constantly concerned because she does not "poop" 2 times daily.
Foor the most part she goes once daily.
She is a vegetarian and takes prbiotics. She drinks alot of water.
There is a time each month,around her cycle, where she becomes constipated and maybe does not poop for like a day or 2.

To me, this seems slightly strange in that she does eat so much fibre.
As her mother, I poop 2 times daily, so she did not inherit my poop genes. :)

Anyway, can you shed some light on this and help us figure out where to look so she can go more.This really bothers her!! This whole thing about not going more frequntly weighs on her mind for some reason.

This is the first step to helping her.
Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Does your daughter poop one time normally?
Had she ever told you that she ever had blood in her stool?
Does she have any irregularity in her periods?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Heelo Dr Charles,

Pretty much she goes once daily.

Her periods are regular.

She has no blood in her stool.

Thanks

Dear Martin,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

In medical terminology,constipation is defined as less than three bowel movements per week.Severe constipation is defined as less than one bowel movement per week.

As your daughter is having one bowel movement daily,then this is normal.She does not need to have two bowel movements.1-2 bowel movements per day is considered normal.

Progesterone is the hormone that increases immediately after ovulation and decreases slowly until its levels drop enough to trigger menstruation.During the menstrual cycle, the body goes through certain hormonal changes. There is a surge of progesterone just before the onset of menstruation and the progesterone level falls when the menstrual flow starts.

The main symptoms that progesterone (and estrogen) cause are bloating, gas, and constipation.This is the reason she gets constipated during her periods every month.

Following will help her to have two/increased bowel movements:

-Fiber is one of the mainstays in the treatment of constipation.High-fiber foods include beans, whole grains and bran cereals, fresh fruits, and vegetables such as asparagus,brussels sprouts, cabbage, and carrots.

-She need to increase the quantity of fruits and vegetables as they contain lots of fiber.

-Avoid smoking & alcohol consumption.

-Don't take fried,spicy,salty,chilly food items.

-Regular cardiovascular exercise helps your circulation and promotes bowel regularity.

So I advice your dear daughter Alex,that she is absolutely normal(as she has no blood or pain in BM) if she had one bowel movement.But if she need two have two bowel movements in a day,she can follow the above steps/tips.It will help her greatly.She does not require any laxative or other medications as of now.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much.

I appreciate your feedback and I will tell her.

You have a greaty day!!

All the best,

'Gina

( Martin is my husband, I must have suigned with his email)