Dr. Chip
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
18722459

Hi Doc, I am feeling better after taking xanax for a few days.Its

Hi Doc,
I am feeling better after taking xanax for a few days.Its been 4 days. I am still somewhat dizzy but I have been sleeping much better and my neck and shoulder don't have the stress and pain they were having. Could there still be a disk issue?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Probably just muscle spams and not from a disk if this is resolving so quickly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So I have an appt with the chiro should I mention anything to him? I really think I need some massage therapy and his office doe different kinds although the chiro has to approve it because he won;t u get massages if he is working on your neck.He doesn't want the neck massaged if he is working on it.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Tell him about it of course but at this point I don't think you need an MRI of the neck. I'd suggest you ask him for the massage since you can forego an adjustment this one time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I really feel like I need some massages the tension stress goes up into my neck and head i feel it. The only thing with the xanax Doc is that I feel so tired all day the next day.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Xanax can do that but with the masaage therapy you probably won't need it much more at night time
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

well I hope he will allow me to get the massages because he is okays it he can get my insurance to pay for some of it as therapy. Can tension or stress on the neck cause dizziness?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Yes it can
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

wow I hope this is the cause of the dizziness. I want the dizziness to go away. It bothers me because no one knows why I am dizzy

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
It definitely can help--also ask the chiro about craniocervical manipulation because that also can help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

what is that Doc?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Here's a link about that

http://www.physio-pedia.com/Neck_Pain:_Clinical_Practice_Guidelines
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I went online to see what this was read this Doc:

Craniocervical arterial dissections as sequelae of chiropractic manipulation: patterns of injury and management.

Source

Division of Neurological Surgery, Barrow Neurological Institute, St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, Arizona 85013, USA.XXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Abstract

OBJECT:

Chiropractic manipulation of the cervical spine is a known cause of craniocervical arterial dissections. In this paper, the authors describe the patterns of arterial injury after chiropractic manipulation and their management in the modern endovascular era.

METHODS:

A prospectively maintained endovascular database was reviewed to identify patients presenting with craniocervical arterial dissections after chiropractic manipulation. Factors assessed included time to symptomatic presentation, location of the injured arterial segment, neurological symptoms, endovascular treatment, surgical treatment, clinical outcome, and radiographic follow-up.

RESULTS:

Thirteen patients (8 women and 5 men, mean age 44 years, range 30-73 years) presented with neurological deficits, head and neck pain, or both, typically within hours or days of chiropractic manipulation. Arterial dissections were identified along the entire course of the vertebral artery, including the origin through the V(4) segment. Three patients had vertebral artery dissections that continued rostrally to involve the basilar artery. Two patients had dissections of the internal carotid artery (ICA): 1 involved the cervical ICA and 1 involved the petrocavernous ICA. Stenting was performed in 5 cases, and thrombolysis of the basilar artery was performed in 1 case. Three patients underwent emergency cerebellar decompression because of impending herniation. Six patients were treated with medication alone, including either anticoagulation or antiplatelet therapy. Clinical follow-up was obtained in all patients (mean 19 months). Three patients had permanent neurological deficits, and 1 died of a massive cerebellar stroke. The remaining 9 patients recovered completely. Of the 12 patients who survived, radiographic follow-up was obtained in all but 1 of the most recently treated patients (mean 12 months). All stents were widely patent at follow-up.

CONCLUSIONS:

Chiropractic manipulation of the cervical spine can produce dissections involving the cervical and cranial segments of the vertebral and carotid arteries. These injuries can be severe, requiring endovascular stenting and cranial surgery. In this patient series, a significant percentage (31%, 4/13) of patients were left permanently disabled or died as a result of their arterial injuries.

I AM AFRAID TO HAVE HIM DO ANYTHING LIKE THIS TO ME. I HAVE DIZZINESS ISSUES ALREADY FOR TWO YEARS I DON'T NEED ANYMORE DAMAGE OR ANYTHING SERIOUS HAPPEN TO ME.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What exactly does he do with you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have been seeing him for about 1 year. He took an xray of my head and he said my atlas was off possibly from passing out. He fixed that and he has pulled on my legs pinches my neck muscle almost until I cry but I don;t tell him it hurts or he does it harder. He adjust my neck and stands me against the wall and folds my arms in front of me and pops my back until I pea on myself. I am sorry Doc but this is all true.

Sometimes he pulls on my head as well.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
OK--I understand your concern then. Massage therapy isn't dangerous and you need to ask him to switch to that. The other alternative is to see a physiatrist (not a psychiatrist)--a physical medicine and rehabilitation MD specialist--that can better and more safely take care of all this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can a chiro refer me to one of them?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
No, you'd need your family physician to do that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he won't. I don;t even want to go back to him after what happened. At this point I feel he would give me the best treatment he could give me and I am paying him cash to see him he doesn;t take my ppo he doesn;t take insurance. I don;t want to even go back to him.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
If you have a PPO it could mean that you could consult a physiatrist without a referral so you need to look into that. Until then, ask the chiro for massage therapy only
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I will ask him tomorrow. and maybe I will ask him if he knows of a good physiatrist. How about that? I see hime tomorrow. I have blue cross ppo

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Call the insurance company and find out what physiatrists are on your plan and ask the chiro too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok I will do that tomorrow thanks Doc.

I have been on the computer about a hour now and my neck is burning some and my neck hurting it must be the muscles or something. I can tell it starts when I am working on the computer and my head is looking down.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
You need to raise the keyboard to shoulder level then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try that Doc. I found a two doctors in the area one was rated 2 stars and the other 3.5 stars and it also said this:

SPECIAL EXPERTISE
Electrodiagnostics

Do you know anything about this Doc? One more thing it says this doctor has 24 years experience.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
What kind of specialist are these?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Specialties ?

SpecialtyCertification
Physical Medicine & RehabilitationBoard certified

Vitals receives quarterly updates on board certification from ABMS®

Special Expertise
Electrodiagnostics

Read more: http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Joseph_B_Griffin.html#ixzz2IYvMEsHN

Physiatrist

Accepting new patients

Read more: http://www.vitals.com/doctors/Dr_Joseph_B_Griffin.html#ixzz2IYvZT3bt

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
He looks like what I was recommended. Electrodiagnostics refers to nerve conduction testing and EMG's but you don't need those.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Doc they hooked me up to one of those before and it sent shock waves through me it was weird. I didn;t like it an dit was uncomfortable and it took a very long time for the test now that happened after I had past out and something brings back to my mind right now he gave me on a prescription note to go to a physical therapist for my neck and head and shoulders I wonder if he was thinking the same as you are, this was like over a year ago when I saw this doctor he was a specialists of some kind that hooked me up to wires on my fingers and toes it was weird.

BTW I never went to the therapist because my doctor said it wasn't necessary to go.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
Usually those tests are dont by neurologists, not physiatrists but as I said you'd be going to him for therapy and not for diagnostic testing
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I remember now I was sent there for him to do that test because since a 2005 blood draw I have had problems with my left arm it feels like it has a

tourniquet on the upper left part of my arm most of the time. I can not let them draw blood out of it unless they do it without a tourniquet.

I remember now that is why they sent me to him to have that test done. That test was last year or maybe a little longer ago.

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
That test is to determine nerve root compression and to look for peripheral neuropathies but again you don't need another one now.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Did this doctor look good to you for me to see for some therapy?

If so what do I tell him I need?

Expert:  Dr. Chip replied 1 year ago.
He looks good and you need to tell him about the neck pain and the dizziness. You need physical therapy--actual work and not testing--for your problem
Dr. Chip, Doctor (MD)
Experience: Over 20 yrs of Family Practice
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok Doc I will call tomorrow and see if my insurance covers this and then call and make an appointment. I will keep you informed. I also see my chiro tomorrow I will also ask for massage therapy and I will fins away to raise my laptop.

Thanks again Doc!!!