Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

Radiologist thinks that i have stones in Kidney. Can i take

Radiologist thinks that i have stones in Kidney. Can i take my weekly dosage of vitamin D? or should i stop taking it. I read in an online article that Vitamin D tablets should not be consumed if there are kidney stones.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Since how long are you taking vitamin D supplement?
What dosage are you taking of vitamin D weekly?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Since couple of months. 50,000 IU D2 and i have 6 more capsules remaining.

Dear customer,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Calcium stones are the most common type of kidney stone. These stones are caused when there is too much calcium in the urine. High amounts of calcium could be due to various factors & high levels of vitamin D in blood can be one of them.

It is generally recommended that food with added vitamin D and certain types of antacids that have a calcium base should be avoided if you are diagnosed with kidney stones.

One possible adverse effect of vitamin D is an increased risk of kidney stones, but evidence of a link between vitamin D and kidney stones is inconclusive.

Excessive vitamin D supplementation may increase the risk of stone formation by increasing the intestinal absorption of calcium, but there is no evidence that correction of vitamin D deficiency increases the risk of stone formation.

There are various studies done & articles published.Some studies have shown a relation of vitamin D supplement while other show no affect of it on the kidney stone.

Still various research & studies are going on.So I advice you to consult your doctor as various factors are to be considered & your dosage of vitamin D may be reduced accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles