Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I have a dry cough that keeps me coughing all day what might

I have a dry cough that keeps me coughing all day what might be the cause of this?
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Do you get breathing discomfort?
Do you have fever or chest pain ?
For how long you have this problem?
Have you tried any medications?
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A little breathing discomfort ...no fever ...I haven't taken any meds except cough syrup.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also I have had this cough for a few weeks
Thanks for quick input.

Possible reasons for your symptoms are- Asthma, Allergic rhinitis, Sinus problems like sinus infection,postnasal drip (Rhinorrhea).
Other cause are lung diseases such as chronic bronchitis, bronchiectasis or respiratory irritants such as chemicals. This should not be left ignored and have to be evaluated by your primary doctor.

You need to undergo X-ray of chest,pulmonary function test,allergy and sinus tests, bronchoscopy. Dry cough is treated with cough suppressants also called antitussives. Dextromethorphan, Diphenhydramine,codeine are the common one. Other cough suppressants include glycerin and lemon and honey, which coat and soothe the back of the throat.Antibiotics may also be prescribed if infection is confirmed.
It may not be possible to reach to precise diagnose, without tests and examination. I hope you understand this issue.I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.