Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice

What does atherosclerotic change in the abdominal aorta signify?

What does atherosclerotic change in the abdominal aorta signify? this was noted on a recent abdominal ultrasound together with some issues with the gallbladder and liver. I have had a quintuple by-pass.
Atherosclerosis will promote degeneration of the vascular structures and may cause abdominal aneurysms of the aorta. Aneurysmal changes usually are seen in the infrarenal part of the abdominal aorta,in atherosclerosis the inflammatory cells enter the aortic wall and will secrete specific Matrix MettalloProtienases (MMPs).These MMPs play a role in breakdown of the aortic media and subsequent aneurysm formation.It would be prudent to keep a regular check for AAA and other vascular degenerative changes in elderly patients with history of atherosclerotic changes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

this answer didn't tell me anything I didn't know before. Thanks for the effort.

You have rated my answer negatively.Could you please let me know what you want specifically .
The fact that you have a metabolic disease like gout and atherosclerosis can contribute to the risk of early blockage of the cardiac bypass vessels and other major arteries.A combination of regular exercise,strict diet control,drugs like Atovastatin and Ezetimibe combination will help prevent early blockage. Ezemetibe prevents absorption of cholesterol from the intestines whereas the statin alter its metabolism in the liver.The use of Ezemetibe will be more effective than increasing the statin dose. This is especially true in the elderly patient,where this combination helped reach targets of LDL-C and triglycerides with good tolerability in European and Canadian studies. Management of elevated Alkaline Phosphate levels and correction of lowered Vitamin D levels will help ,as will managing the CHF effectively.