A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

My "ALB GLOB RT" was 2 on a recent blood test. The acceptable

My "ALB GLOB RT" was 2 on a recent blood test. The acceptable ratio seems to be 12-72 according to the lab. What does this test mean and, secondly, what does an extremely low score of 2 indicate? (BTW BUN high at 21; BUN/Creat Ration also high at 23)

Greetings Steve.

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Could you please write the levels of albumin and globulin?
What were your creatinine and BUN levels?
What were the symptoms for which these investigations done?
Any significant past medical history?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Albumin 4.6

ALB GLOB RT 2 (very low...7-13 average)

BUN 21 (High...greater than 20)

BUN/Creat ratio 23 (High..12-20 average)

Revealed in a CBC with comp. metabolic panel. Annual check-up.

Hello Steve,

Just to reconfirm that we are on same page;

I understand that we are discussing albumin / globulin ratio.

The Normal Adult Range of albumin is: 3.2 - 5.0 g/dl

Normal Adult Range of globulin is: 2.2 - 4.2 g/dl.
Please see this reference resource for it;

A/G RATIO (Albumin/Globulin Ratio)

Normal Adult Range: 0.8 - 2.0 (calculated)
(slightly varies with labs).

Are you talking of the above?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can only write what is on the patient lab report. Under the category "ALB GLOB RT"--my reading is "2". The average for this reading is given as 13-72 mg/dl. There is a separate listing for Albumin (alone). That reading was 4.6.

Okay Steve. I would opt out, as I am not clear about it. This question would be open for the other experts on JustAnswer. Please do not respond to this message as it locks to me for 15 minutes.

Thank you.

Best wishes and kindest regards

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

What is the reading for GLOBULIN?

The lab sheet should show:

• Albumin:______ normal range ____--_____
  • Globulin:______ normal range ____--____
  • Albumin/Globulin ratio: ______ normal range ____--____

What does the lab consider normal for each of these readings?

Which lab did the analysis (Quest, LabCorp, etc.)?

I'll try to help figure out what the results mean.

Best regards,

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As noted, the Albumin score was 4.6, showing an acceptable range of 3.7-5.2. There was not a Globulin category unto itself. There is an ALB GLOB RT with a score of 2, with the average given as 13-72. The latter is what I was trying to get information on. It would seem that a score of 2 on the "ratio" rating would be very low when the average falls between 13-72.

Well, you can't calculate an albumin-globulin ration without a number for globulin. It's like trying to calculate miles per gallon where you know how many gallons of gas you used, but you forgot to set the odometer the last time you filled up the tank.

What is considered "normal range" varies a tiny bit from lab to lab based on the equipment they use. At my lab, here are the normal ranges:

• Albumin 3.6 - 5.1 g/dL
  • Globulin 1.9 - 3.7 g/dL
  • Albumin/globulin ratio 1.0 - 2.5

There is no lab in the world where the average A/G ratio is 13-72. A person with such a reading would not be alive to ask about it.

I think your lab report is just messed up. I would call the laboratory and ask them to explain such outrageous numbers.

It's the same thing with the BUN/Creatinine ratio. You can't have a ratio unless you have values for both BUN and creatinine. Normal levels at my lab are as follows;

• BUN 7-25 mg/dL
  • Creatinine 0.70 - 1.25 mg/dL
  • BUN/Creatinine ratio 6 - 22

As for what the tests mean, albumin and globulin are the two largest percentages of protein in the blood. The albumin-globulin ration is a calculated number that is related to the clotting ability of the blood. An albumin-globulin ratio of 13-72 would only be found in clotted blood. A person could not live with such numbers.

BUN is the acronym for blood urea nitrogen. If the number is XXXXX the kidneys may be having a problem filtering it out. However, it could also just mean that the person was dehydrated when the blood was drawn. Creatinine is another byproduct found in blood that the kidneys filter. A high level may also indicate dehydration or a kidney problem.

Reading blood test results is not just numbers but art. From the number part, one needs to understand that "average" captures just 2/3 of people. There will always be outliers on the low and high sides whose readings are perfectly normal for them, but are outside of the lab average. Therefore, a reading of 1.25 on a test whose lab normal range is 0.70 to 1.20 is nothing to be concerned about unless the provider has some other reason to suspect a problem. Normal procedure would be to recheck in 3-6 months.

A reading of 2 on an albumin/globulin ratio is normal. The lab normal range of 12-72 is just plain wrong. I would ask the lab in question to explain how such an error came about in the printout.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist