A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

My mother lives in Orlando Fla. in a senior retirement housing

My mother lives in Orlando Fla. in a senior retirement housing facility. Westminster Towers. They have three levels of living. (independent, assisted, and nursing home). It is a beautiful facility. My mother lives in independent living but she probably is ready for assisted living (you tell her that). She is 96 years old, and is starting to forget important things, fall down, and not be able to get back up, hygiene, etc.. She is a strict vegetarian, and strong willed. She does not want to move to the assisted living and I agree with her for a few reasons. Dietary being one, and the fact that she still is able to do somethings herself.
Westminster towers has a contract with Visiting Nurses of America to provide service that would be more suitable to my mother but they want "A-Rod" money. IF she moves to assisted living they want "A-Rod" money. There is no one who lives close to her. I live in the north east. Is there a way to get private duty CNA, HHA, companion for a few hours a day at a reasonable price. VNA wanted $18.00 per hour with a minimum of 4 hrs per day contiguous. I would like something like 2 hours in the morning and 2 in the evening four times a week. IF the price were cheaper I would take more.

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to try to help you.

The average salary for a CNA in Orlando is about $12 an hour, Home Healt Aides a dollar or so less. Of course, any service is going to charge more than that because they are the ones who are going to have to do the criminal background checks, check licenses, pay the taxes, and make sure someone will be there on backup in case the CNA/HHA is sick or has an emergency. Generally someone coming twice a day will cost a premium over someone coming just once, and it would rarely be the same "someone."

You can try some of the agencies in Orlando and compare their rates with what the Visiting Nurses Association charges. However, in all frankness, the agencies are usually pretty close together.

I would also suggest calling the local Social Service Agency and see who they use for Medicaid cases. The service(s) they use may be a tad cheaper.

If you were available to supervise, you could look into hiring a nursing school student to come in a couple hours a day. The salary would be about the same, but there wouldn't be the agency's fee. Keeping track of hours, payroll taxes, and Social Security can be a headache though.

Please let me know if you have questions,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could you give me the phone number to Social Service Agency in Orlando that I may ask them what you stated, and are there certain laws governing licensing in Orlando to verify a person before hiring them?

Here are a couple of agencies you can try:

Office On Aging2100 E Michigan ST, 2nd Floor
Orlando, FL 32806
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>

Health Department
6101 Lake Ellenor Dr.
Orlando, FL 32809
Phone:407-(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>

Citizen Resource & Outreach Office2100 E Michigan ST
Orlando, FL 32806
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>

For more information related to the Office on Aging and Commission on Aging, contact themby phone at(NNN) NNN-NNNNor email at [email protected]

Here are some other contacts that might be helpful: http://orangecountyfl.net/Portals/0/Library/Families-Health-Social%20Svcs/docs/Community%20Resources%20for%20Elders%202013.pdf

All CNAs are required to be licensed by the Florida http://www.doh.state.fl.us/mqa/cna/cna_reciprocity.html

Home Health Aides are not required to be licensed, but they may attend a certification class. (The nursing home may have a requirement that anyone providing services within the nursing home be certified.)

Anyone needing help with bathing or other activities of daily living would need a HHA or CNA. Companions cannot do that type of work. Companions would help with shopping, laundry, light cleaning, etc.

Good luck with your search,

Schuyler