A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist

was wanting to know more about the illness Babesia (I am not

was wanting to know more about the illness Babesia (I am not sure of the spelling) and what you can tell me about it for a 49 year old lady. Jackie

Hi, Jackie,

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

The disease in humans is called babesiosis (baa-BEE-see-o-sis). It is caused by the bite of the nymph stage of the life cycle of a specific tick that is infected with the Babesia parasite. Some people infected will show no symptoms. Others can have fevers and hemolytic anemia, which can occur months after the initial bite which may not even be remembered. Diagnosis is by blood smear, usually read by hand since the infection is difficult to tell from other parasitic infections by automated systems.

Treatment is 10-14 days of a combination treatment: either atovaquone woth azithromycin or clindamycin with quinine.

After the infection is cleared, it make take several weeks for the anemia to resolve.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,