Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years

I have severe pain in my left thigh when I walk up stairs.

Customer Question

I have severe pain in my left thigh when I walk up stairs. Also, when standing still, I cannot lift my left left without SEVERE pain in my upper/inner thigh area. No back pain. No recent hx of exertion in the area. I basically cannot lift my left leg more than about 6 inches off the floor and must stop due to severe pain. What might be causing this? It's been happening for the past 3 days with no hx of trauma or even severe exercise/running.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Have you noticed swelling/bump or discoloration in left thigh?
Any history of problems or injury to the back?
Do you have weakness in left leg?
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No swelling/bump or discolor in L thigh.

I have hx of back problems due to a MVA in 2001 (compression fx of T9) and have chronic pain syndrome from this accident but the pain is located in my L scapular region (referred pain/neurologic pain) as my pain doc has told me. Never has this pain syndrome caused any problems in my legs and the leg problem has only started in the past few days. I take MS CONTIN for back pain, but the meds have no effect on the let pain at all.

No weakness at all when walking on flat surface...only weakness is when walking up stairs and I CANNOT lift my left leg more than a few inches when going up stairs and need to use my hands to assist my leg.

By the way, my chronic pain doc is in the USA and I am traveling now in Korea and have a "temporary" pain doc here...I am a college professor...but speaking English with him is a problem..hence my use of "Justanswer". I realize you will likely tell me to consult my Korean pain doctor, but we don't communicate well due to the language barrier. He essentially writes my rx and that's it.

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Dear XXXXX,
I am sorry to hear about your problems. I understand that you have communication problem while staying in Korea. I will do whatever I can to help with your condition.

Your symptoms can occur with a condition Meralgia paresthetica also known as lateral femoral cutaneous nerve syndrome (LFCNS).
It can cause sudden and severe burning pain in upper part of thigh. This occurs due to compression of a nerve called the Lateral Cutaneous nerve in the thigh.Other possibility is pressure on a nerve root from the spine. It is also very common condition.Unfortunately such condition can develop all of sudden.

You need to follow these measures to resolve this condition-
1. You can use Heating pads or hot wet towels on affected areas. You can apply it for 15-20 minutes and it can be done 3-4 times a day.
2. Take Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as ibuprofen or naproxen.
3. Take bed rest, and remain away from lifting any heavy objects.
4. You can take help from physical therapist. Physical therapy includes various modalities like Short wave diathermy, Infra red , Wax therapy these will help you a lot.
5. You can consult your Korean doctor for strong painkiller and anti-inflammatory drugs.

If symptoms doesn't start to improve in next 2 weeks, then you need to undergo these tests-
-X ray/ scan of lower spine.
-Nerve conduction studies test.
Kindly follow above all measures, and please have a prescription for painkiller from your doctor.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I find you information very helpful, although for some reason, perhaps I just don't understand how to use this site, but for some reason I did not get you answer until waiting for about 30 mintutes.

However, your technical help was excellent and I thank you. I did not know about LFCNS before. You helped me and I'm glad to hear that you do not think this might be a femoral thrombosis symptom...that was my biggest fear.

Regards,

XXXXX XXXXX

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Paul, I appreciate your kind words.
In no way, this sounds to be thrombosis or any other serious issue. Please don't panic at all.

I am sorry to hear that you were left waiting for 30 minutes, this can be due to technical issue, I apologize for this issue.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.