Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

My 22 yr old daughter suddenly started bleeding from her navel

My 22 yr old daughter suddenly started bleeding from her navel today. She said it was quite a bit of blood but there was no associated pain. She also said it was not coming from her navel piercing but rather, inside her navel. It makes me nervous since she was diagnosed with thyroid cancer at the age of 19. What could be causing this bleeding?
The cause is most commonly infection of the umblicus leading to a bloody discharge along with abdominal discomfort.The infection could be bacterial or fungal in nature. Other possibilities include discharge from umblical hernia which may include incarcerated intestinal contents.This is a potentially serious problem which needs to be ruled out.Rarely a urachal cyst remains in adults as a remnant from a connection between the bladder and the umblicus.This cyst may become infected or may bleed causing this problem.It would be best to seek help from your PCP who can examine and investigate her for the exact cause.The treatment will be specific to the cause found.Surgical opinion may be required in case no infection is found.