Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I joined a gym last week to lose weight and get fit. I planned

I joined a gym last week to lose weight and get fit. I planned to work out today, but I am very stressed from my new job, I am very sore from being on my feet all day yesterday, and I have tachycardia (105). Should I work out today or wait until I feel better?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

Is your resting heart rate at 105?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a tension headache too.

Ok thank you for all the added information. Do you have any medical issues that you know of?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am on medication for hypertension, high cholesterol, anxiety, and depression. I am also about 50 lbs overweight and haven't worked out for many years, until last week.

I'm a bit concerned about the tachycardia and your age along with the other health conditions you listed here coupled with the added stress. While tachycardia could just be from dehydration or from the stress (anxiety included), it could also signal that you may have an electrical problem with the heart. You not only have the mental stress from the new job but you have the added physical stress of becoming active and also from being on your feet yesterday. Heart disease, metabolic disorders or mitochondrial disease could be causing you to be a bit intolerant of the being on your feet and the physical demands that it requires.

I would not work out today at all. Also, if you have a regular Dr, I would give the office a call and let the nurse know a bit of history like you have provided me and see what they want you to do. If you don't have a regular dr, I would visit an urgent care or walk in clinic and have them do a EKG if nothing else. Just to make sure things are as they should be. But no, I would not put any more demands on the heart right now (like exercising).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My doctor is a cardiologist. I had a bout of tachycardia about the same time last year, (130), but it was normal sinus rhythm.I get yearly stress tests and echocardiograms.

If he has said that tachycardia is normal for you, then just sit out the exercise for today. If you think he would like to know about your recent bout of this, then by all means chime in and let him know.

What did he say was the cause of the last bout of tachycardia and what did he do for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Stress.

I can understand that. Did he just let you stay tachycardic or did he give you something for stress? And this time are you having any other symptoms like shortness of breath or pain anywhere?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No medication was given. I'm not short of breath now, but get winded fairly easy. As for pain, my legs, neck, and left shoulder hurt.

Ok thanks. I would still call the office and make sure they know this is going on again. With the shoulder pain, they may want to check you out to make sure everything is ok this time too. A lot can change in a year.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.