Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

Kidney Stone - In August (5 months ago) I had a 7mm stone that

Kidney Stone - In August (5 months ago) I had a 7mm stone that was at the junction of the kidney and ureter. Two day's later I followed up with my Urologist where they did an ultrasound and a KUB. They could not see the stone on either but my kidney still looked swollen. At this point I had no more pain and they wanted me to come back in 5 months for another ultrasound. I have had no kindney stone pain in 5 months. My kidney still looked swollen. Now I am getting a CTSCAN IPV. My doctor told me I could lose my kidney in two years they don't find a reason.

What kid of treatment can I expect?
Welcome and thanks for your question , if the kidney remains enlarged ,they will basically remove the kidney performing a nephrectomy .

If during the procedure , your surgeon find out that there is only a specific area of your kidney affected, he will remove only that portion of your kidney , this is called a partial nephrectomy.
If the entire kidney is affected , he will removed the whole kidney .

Right now , nephrectomy can be performed in two ways with opened surgery or laparoscopically ( in this case ,the incision will be smaller and you will recover faster ). The doctor will insert a wand like device with a tiny camera. With opened surgery ,the incision will be larger from 10-20 inches long in your side or abdomen .

The great advantage with your kidneys is that when they remove one of your kidneys , the remaining kidney perform the function of both kidneys and you can have a perfect healthy life life without further complications.

After the surgery , they will place a urinary catheter for 2-3 days . You should avoid strenuous activity for a period of 1-3 months and driving for 2 weeks until you are completely recovered .

If the surgeon considers it necessary ,he will send the removed tissue to the lab to perform a biopsy to determine if there is any type of cellular transformation.

After the surgery , you will have every year a check up evaluation to monitor how your other kidney is working properly ,specially they will measure your blood pressure levels ,the glomerular filtration rate and your protein urine levels to be 100% sure everything is fine .

You will need to avoid high protein food sources and limit your consumption of salt. Avoid alcohol and limiting the consumption of caffeine . Eat plenty of fruits ,vegetables and whole grain which are healthy food sources . Maintaining a proper weight and exercise are also very important .

in most cases , patients will remain in the hospital for a period of 1 week with opened surgery and 2-4 days with laparoscopic surgery .

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.