Dr. Anil Kumar
Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience:  M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.
4713694

if your having uncomfortable ness in ur chest ... middle...

if your having uncomfortable ness in ur chest ... middle... and u burp and it hurts there and in ur back .. is that reflux.. its painful but doesn't burn..
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Since how long you have this problem?
Do you have nausea?
Do you have breathing discomfort?
Have you tried any medications?
Any previous medical condition?

Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

past few days heartburn .. this time it doesn't burn it just hurts.. hypothrooid.. tums took heartburn away,. i took two just now and nothing yet... it hurts nd is makin me nervous no nausea

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for quick input. I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Most likely such symptoms are due to acid reflux disease and gastritis Excess secretion of gastric acid is causing burning sensation in upper chest and may also radiate to back. This can be painful in nature. It doesn't sounds to be related with heart disease.

To treat this problem, you need to make some dietary changes along with medications. You need to avoid chocolate fatty foods, coffee, and alcoholic beverages. Avoid beans, cabbage, and carbonated beverages.
You should avoid smoking.You should always drink up to eight glasses of water a day.You should remain away from stress and anxiety. Start practicing Yoga and meditation. Deep breathing exercises and relaxation techniques will be helpful.
You should avoid these food items-
beans, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, sprouts, onions and garlic. Also you should eat meals at least 2 to 3 hours before bedtime.

You need to take Syp. Pepto-Bismol 2tsf thrice a day after meals. You need to take Zantac 150mg twice a day. Both of these are OTC drugs.
Also proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole will be very helpful.
A healthy diet is very necessary to be free from such symptoms.
I would suggest you to follow these above measures, and your symptoms will get resolve in 3-4 days.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

right now it does not burn... does that matter... it just hurts.. pretty bad too... no burning in throat like yesterday ...its intensifying subsing hurting going away.. every few mins center of chest.. above breastss...

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear of your discomfort.
Acid reflux pain and heart related pain can show similar symptoms. It may be difficult to diagnose this condition, without clinical examination. I hope you understand this issue.

Having severe pain in middle of chest, make me concern. This has to be checked for heart disease.
It is possible that you may be suffering from Angina pain. Angina usually starts with chest pain or tightness.This pain can be felt as dull, heavy, tight or severe. Also pain and discomfort may spread to your jaw, neck, arms, back or stomach.
Patient may feel sick or shortness of breath. Though all such symptoms, may not be seen in all patients.You may need EKG for diagnosis.
Further management will be advised after clinical examination and tests. Please get it clinically evaluated from your doctor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i had ekg two days ago bc of pain but not this kind of pain.. they ran blood work too... is that enuff to rule this out to be reflux... my 3rd tums and its not going away... i'm not short of breath or naseous just very anxious and it hurts..

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Kailyn, I understand your problem.
As you have got EKG and blood work done just 2 days back, so i would not panic for heart related issue.
As you have already tried tums for 3 times, without much relief, this has make me think over another condition Costochondritis. It is an inflammation of the cartilage joining ribs to chest bone. It is this inflammation that causes the sharp chest pains inside the chest wall.
Nerve can be compressed due to inflamed cartilage and thereby the pain can be felt in in back too.

To treat this condition doctor advise for medications. These are-
1.Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like- Motrin, Naproxen ,Aleve.
2.Antidepressants, specifically tricyclic antidepressants, are very helpful.
3.Muscle relaxants, are also very helpful in such cases.
Please get clinical examination from your doctor and get it managed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

pain is not sharp... it just hurts.. hard to desscribe.. like a tight hard ache or bruise maybe... it builds up w intensity then dies down... upper middle back has pain

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Dear Kailyn, I am sorry to hear of your discomfort.
Having pain in middle of chest, which hurts and may come up with intensity is due to Costochondritis.
The condition affects females more than males (70% versus 30%).
It is not a serious issue and can be managed with medications, as advised in previous post. Please use medications as advised in last post, and don't take stress for serious issue like heart disease.

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it was an awful night... after the pain subsided.. the bad burning started till 4 am .. tums did nothing.. went to cardiologist today.. he said ekg looked good no changes and did bldwrk that i will know results tmrw.. i seen on paper cbc esr cpk troponin and one other thing i can't rem.. today now it is coming and goin,.. i feel a knot in my upper middle back .. slight burning in my throat.. hot flashes in my stomach and a feeling of food stuck in my throat and chest.. if i burp sometimes it hurts more sometimes it helps.. happened right after i had some turkey and salami.. he said i shouldcheck my gallbladder...

Expert:  Dr. Anil Kumar replied 1 year ago.

As other expert has opted out,so i want to help you further.

As you are suffering from last few days and self medications are not providing relief to your pain.

So in my opinion,you need to be seen by a gastroenterologist further for a clinical examination and undergo Upper GI scopy,Ultrasound Whole Abdomen to rule out underlying possible cause which may include Gastritis,Peptic ulcer,Gall bladder disease,Renal calculi.

You can try OTC Prilosec before meals and Zantac150 mg twice a day( morning and at bedtime) which are better than Tums.

If your symptoms persist then you may require other prescribed medications which may include-
H-2-receptor blockers
Prokinetics that helps to strengthen the LES and make the stomach empty faster.

I hope this helps.

Please rate me highly (Star 5 Great Service), if you are satisfied with our conversation.

If you have any further query then feel free to ask.

Bonus and positive feedback are highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thnk you,,,,, cardiologist made me an apt this morning to a GI dr.... this came on suddenly and will nt go away.... just this morning i woke up w w felt like fluid comin up..w chunk of something.. and came wit upper middle bak pain... feel like i cnt eat anything so frustrating...yet i feel full in the throat like i ate a lot.. even tried to hv a pretzel last night the salt burned upon swallowing and the pretzel hurt as well going dwn.. does the constant symptoms signal somethin more serious could be going on?

Thanks for the follow-up.

As you feel fullness in back of throat and feeling of food(pretzel) moving down in your esophagus so possibly you have GERD/Esophagitis/Hiatus hernia.

You need to be seen by a GI doctor and undergo Upper GI scopy.

Your symptoms are not suggesting an emergency as it is less likely to have any cardiac pathology.

Your GI doctor can treat you well with medications.

So you shouldn't worry as stress and anxiety can be aggravating factors.

You can try OTC Prilosec before meals and Zantac150 mg twice a day( morning and at bedtime) to get good results.

I hope this helps.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thnk u ... i just tried t eat a banana and swallowing the first peice gave a pain in the upper middle back... is that normal with reflux as well? is there anything specific i should tell or ask frm gi dr? your advice is appreciated

You can take Gaviscon which can provide some relief while eating food.

Possibly you may suffer from reflux esophagitis/Hiatus hernia.

And you can ask your doctor for further investigations like Upper GI scopy which gives you exact diagnosis.

Wishing you a good luck.

Thank you.

Dr. Anil Kumar, General Physician
Experience: M.D. with over 30 years of experience in practice.