Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

Hi, I have never had this happen before but I ate shrimp on

Hi, I have never had this happen before but I ate shrimp on friday night and now Iam all covered with a rash.So I would guess I have developed a allergy to sea food. Should I do anything about it or let it take its course? There are no other issues like my breathing or anything. Just this rash all over my chest amd arms.karen
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I am sorry to hear about your problems.

It seems that you have developed Food allergy. Shrimp allergies can cause severe reactions in individuals.
Symptoms of a true food allergy usually involve the skin and intestines and typically begin just after eating and not longer than 2 hours following ingestion of the particular food.

The serious symptoms associated with food allergy are-
Swelling of the throat and difficulty swallowing,
Difficulty breathing,
Rapid pulse,
Dizziness,
Blue color to the skin and nails.

In your case, symptoms are not serious, and usually such skin allergic reaction get disappear in few days.
You need to take OTC anti-allergic medication Zyrtec once a day for one week. You should also use Calamine lotion for local application.
You can apply cream containing hydrocortisone, this will improve your condition.
You can consult your doctor for blood tests to look for antibodies against the particular food allergens and also go for
Skin testing test to find the right foods causing allergy reactions.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.