Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I have had several whip lash incidents in my life. Nine months

I have had several whip lash incidents in my life. Nine months or so ago, I noticed a popping at the top of my neck when I turned my head. Six months ago, pain started on the left side of my neck. It was occasional, but fairly consistent. I fell on the ice 4 weeks ago onto my back. Since then, the pain has increased. It is consistent. It has handicapped me considerably. There seems to be a 'catch' in several areas of my neck when I turn my head. I have trouble doing anything. If I sit and keep my head braced seems to be my only relief. We don't have health insurance and are on a very limited income. This has kept me from seeking help.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Charles replied 1 year ago.
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Do you feel vertigo or dizziness?
Have you undergone any tests so far?
Does the pain radiate upto arm?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do feel some vertigo every now and then. Dizziness occasionally. I have not undergone any tests. The pain does not seem to radiate onto my arm. I get a tingling at the base of my left neck. Most of the problem is sharp pain when I turn my head; even when I am not turning my head my neck hurts continually.

Dear Tammy,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you are having can be due to cervical spondylitis and/or spondylosis.It is most likely caused by age-related changes in the intervertebral disks.It is generally caused by the compression of spinal nerves. Any compromise of the nerve space in the spinal column can lead to compression of the nerve endings and can cause the pain,numbness or tingling sensation.

This occurs because of lumbar radiculopathy,injury,spinal disc herniation,wear and tear or degeneration of the discs.Your felling on ice 4 weeks ago was the aggravating factor for this condition & hence that pain increased.

You need following tests:

-X-ray neck
-Electromyography(EMG)
-Nerve conduction studies

The symptoms of dizziness & tingling at base of left neck also supports the diagnosis of cervical spondylitis.Treatment includes soft cervical collar, analgesics, anti-inflammatory, local heat, possibly traction and isometric exercises.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Till than for pain relief you can take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am wondering if I can continue doing Zumba? I have not done it since I fell. Will any twisting and turning make this any worse or help? I have been afraid to because of the pain and I am afraid. i have had two bulging disks in my neck from a car accident 12 years ago. I believe it was at C-1 and C-4-or 5. i don't have the documents here to give the specifics. Could one of them ruptured? or becoming herniated? I don't know if there is even a difference. These are fears that have gone through my head. i will do what you have told me. We just don't have the type of Doctors here in our area to help me with this. We are working on finding some in another city. The cost is also something we need to figure out

Dear customer,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

You need to avoid Zumba.Also you need to avoid weight carrying.Sudden twists & turns should be avoided.As you have history of bulging disc from a car accident 12 years ago,the possibility of cervical spondylitis further increases.Yes,herniation of these disc can be a great possibility leading on to pain & other symptoms.Injections of cortisone can be administered directly in the area of nerve compression.

So you need to consult your doctor regarding tests & examination for the confirmation of diagnosis.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience: Internal medicine specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you Dr. Charles. You help is appreciated. I know what direction to go in now and be able to more intelligently talk to a Dr. about what is going on. Sincerely, Tammy

Dear Tammy,
Thank you for the words of appreciation & using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles
Hi Tammy,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor?
Was x-ray neck done?
What is the final diagnosis made?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have not consulted a Doctor yet. Financially, we can't afford the tests right now, plus, we have no one here in our community that we feel confident seeing. I am trying the things you told me to do, to help my symptoms. I purchased a neck brace and it seems to help when I need to be up moving around. Right now I really don't know what else to do.

Hi Tammy,

Okay,till you make a consultation with your doctor you can take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter.It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles