Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I am petifired of needles. I have terrible fear of germs too.

I am petifired of needles. I have terrible fear of germs too. I am also scared of the recent outbreak of the flu. How likely I am to get the flu? Also, I have heard you can have server sorness in the arm after getting the flu shot. I have also heard you can get the flu fromt he shot itself. What should I do get it or not get it?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Have you gone for flu shot in past?
Are you experiencing any symptoms ?
Are you on any medications ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have never gotten the flu shot before. I am not experinencing any symtoms. I take Lamictal 200mg once a day for Mood Disorder NOS. I also take Cytomel 2 1/2 5 Mcg tablets in the morning and 2 5mcg at night. Plus, 50 mcg of synthroid in the morning. I also take a muti vit., stool softner, and Vit D.

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for quick input.
Some patients after flu shot may get side effects like- headache, runny nose, sore throat, cough, and body aches.

Usually they occur for a day or two after getting the flu shot. In some cases, one may also experience a low-grade fever. Also one may get soreness and/or swelling in arm, but usually it get disappear in few days. Serious side effects from the flu vaccine are very rare.

I understand your fear for needles, but please don't get panic. You will not get any serious side effects. Just relax and you can safely go for flu shot.

Flu shot protects against three influenza viruses.
The viruses in the flu shot are killed (inactivated), so you cannot get the flu from a flu shot.
It is very rare that it cause serious problems, such as severe allergic reactions. Almost all people who get influenza vaccine have no serious problems from it.

It would prevent you from getting seasonal influenza virus.
Please don't take stress, and get flu vaccination done.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I also heard that when you get the vaccine it does not take affect right away. It can take up to three weeks to build up anti-bodies in your system. Is this true? Therefore, eventhough I have the flu shot I can still get the flu. Also, how painful is the needle going in? How long does it take to get the the flu shot? It is like getting you blood drawn? I also heard when gettng the shot I should ask for a butterly needle so it does not heard that much. What is the mist spray shot they are talking about? Is right for me? Does it hurt? Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX give you an excellent rating.

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for asking follow up question. I will answer your questions in order-
1. Ideally it may take about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body and provide protection against influenza virus infection. The chances of getting flu after 2 weeks of vaccination are near to zero.

2. Regarding pain, it is not severe and tolerable.
After the injection, some people may experience pain in the arm near the injection site, or develop a low fever. You may not get much pain from needle. It may take a minute for getting this vaccine.

3. Usually doctor advise A 1- to 1.5-inch needle to give inactivated influenza vaccine intra-muscularly to adults. Butterfly needles are preferred for intravenous injections, but flu shot is given as Intramuscular or Intradermal. Sorry, we can't use butterfly needle.

4. FluMist is the brand name of the flu vaccine that's given in a nasal spray. Here vaccine is sprayed into the person's nostrils with a small, needle less syringe. It is painless. It can cause light side effects like- runny nose, headache, wheezing, vomiting, muscle aches, and fever. This nasal spray shot can be considered by your doctor.
Please discuss for this spray with your doctor.

Reference- http://www.flumist.com/

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.

Please let me know how I can be of further assistance.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years