Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Hi, my mother has what appears to me to be a Ganglion Cyst

Hi, my mother has what appears to me to be a Ganglion Cyst on her finger and neck, could you confirm this? If not, what is it? And what are the remedies known? Thanks.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii134/drkellogs/IMG_7239_zpsa2976a92.jpg

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii134/drkellogs/IMG_7241_zps29d6d819.jpg

I am sorry that your question was unanswered for long.

Since when is the finger and neck cysts?
Is the finger cyst painful, tender, red?

Is your mother diabetic?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Dr., she is not diabetic.

The neck cyst is there for 2 years. The finger, 1 year. Yes it is tender, red & painful.

Let me know if you need any more clarification, thanks.

Hello Rhen Khong,

The neck lump is likely to be a solitary dermatofibroma. Usually it does not require treatment. Removal (by minor surgery) is only considered due to cosmetic concern, as it is a noncancerous (benign) lump.

The skin fluid collection is likely due to chronic paronychia. It too is treated by a general surgeon or an orthopedic surgeon under local anesthesia by draining the fluid, removing excess skin and applying local antibiotic.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

We have recently implemented a new rating and feedback system. Please be aware that you are rating my courtesy and service as a professional. If you have any questions whatsoever, or there is anything I can clarify for you, please temporarily bypass the rating system by clicking “Continue the Conversation” or "Reply."

Clicking either of the lowest two options reflects poorly on me so please reply to me if there is anything else I can do to help before choosing those options. I appreciate your patience while we work out the kinks. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I have provided you. Thank you.