A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist

tested positive for Chlamydia after treatment

Customer Question

I broke up with my boyfriend who cheated on me end o Nov 2012. I had oral sex with him on 11/25. Since then I had non with him. Then I had sex with someone on 12/14. I felt like I have UTI very next day. I went into doctor about week later. I explained the situation over the phone and they gave me one form of antibiotic which I was supposed to take for 3 days. Then went in to see doctor. The test came back positive for Chlamydia. I had texted before I was with my ex boyfriend and I did have any STD. I am not sure if he gave it to me or the person I slept with on 12/14. Doctor prescribe me Zithromax on 12/29. We already had scheduled annual check up on 1/4. so we re-tested for it again. And today he told me the test came back positive again. I didn't have any sex since then. He prescribe me Doxycycline this time. My question is was it too early to re-test for it when I went in on 1/4? From the first antiboitc which they gave me over the phone before the first test, the UTI like symptoms cleared. And now I don't have any symptoms at all. Second question is is one day after the infection for symptoms to show up too early? Last question is I started taking Doxycyline today 1/10, when should I get re tested again?

Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do whatever I can to answer your question.

No, it wasn't too early to test on 1/4 if you had started 3 days of antibiotic on 12/28. However, it's also possible that the antibiotic prescribed for the UTI didn't affect the chlamydia. Most antibiotics prescribed for a UTI won't affect chlamydia.

A week of doxycycline is one standard treatment.

Chlamydia is known as the "silent disease" because it often produces no symptoms, particularly at first. There is no way to tell who gave it to you. Both men should be told so they can be tested and treated, if necessary.

Please let me know if you have questions.

All the best,

Schuyler

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what kind of antibiotic they gave me for UTI. They gave me Zithromax 2 tablets to be taken one time on 12/29. So I did take antibiotic which is for Chlamydia on 12/29

Then the zithromax didn't work. Some bugs have become antibiotic-resistant and may be sensitive to a different antibiotic. If the week of doxycycline doesn't work, there are still more different antibiotics that can be tried.

Best regards,

Schuyler

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. Private practice & hospitalist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

When should I get retested again?

You should wait a week after the doxycycline is finished so you won't have the question about whether it is too soon or not.

Good luck!

Schuyler