Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

I am 58 years old and diabetic (type2) i want to have a bariatric

I am 58 years old and diabetic (type2)
i want to have a bariatric operation to lose weight.
Is it advisable for me? 58, diabetes?
Welcome and thanks for your question,yes , you could have bariatric surgery even being diabetic.

Evenmore , studies have shown that in patients who are obese and diabetic ,the surgery could help them to lose weight and improve their diabetes .

You will still need to have a pre-surgical evaluation to determine if your cardiovascular and respiratory and ventilatory functions are adequate to tolerate this surgery .

Usually ,doctors perform the surgery for obese patients who are 100 pounds or more over their ideal weight or a body mass index of 40 or more . In diabetic patients , a body of mass index of 35 or more is also a medical qualification to have bariatric surgery.

You consult your primary care physician who manages your diabetes so he can refer you to a surgeon who performs bariatric surgery to see if you meet all the qualifications . But your diabetes is definitely not a contraindication for the surgery.

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.