Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

I am drinking small glass of Pomegranate juice first thing

Customer Question

I am drinking small glass of Pomegranate juice first thing in the morning, every day.

Is this practice good for lowering LDL cholesterol ??

Or, is this juice working like a blood thinner,

or, am I dreaming ?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today. Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern appropriately.

Please share with me about levels of cholesterol and LDL
For how long you have raised levels?
Are you overweight?
Do you have family history of heart disease?
Are you physically active?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Last 12 month

I was, but have lost 20 lb ,,,, I weigh 190 lb, high 6 ft

My brother (84) had a stroke 10 years ago. My father lived to 95.

I swim 1h, five days a week.

Thank you,

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Mike,Thanks for quick input.
Considering your height and weight BMI( Body mass index ) comes to be 25.8
The normal range for BMI is-
Underweight = <18.5
Normal weight = 18.5-24.9
Overweight = 25-29.9
Obesity = BMI of 30 or greater.
Your BMI lies in start of overweight category.

It is good to hear, that you are physically active and have lost 20 lbs in recent time. You should loose some more weight, so that BMI comes in healthy range.

As such daily consumption of pomegranate juice can slow the buildup of cholesterol in your arteries, it contains antioxidants, especially polyphenols which has heart-protecting benefits. It helps to reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL, or "bad") cholesterol levels.
This juice also helps to lower blood pressure levels, It is healthy for your heart.

Also Niacin or Vitamin B3 as a supplement can be taken to reduce LDL cholesterol.
Niacinamide is found in eggs, green vegetables, fish, milk and yeast, so that too would help in bringing the LDL down.
Yes, Pomegranate juice works well as a blood thinner. Daily dose of pomegranate juice promotes easy blood flow to the heart and reduces blockages.

Reference- http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/vitamin-b3-000335.htm

I hope this helps.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi XXXXX

Is there a food that is rich with Niacin ?

How do you calculate BMI ?

Thanks,

Mike Radan

Expert:  Dr. Josh replied 1 year ago.
Dear XXXXX,
Yes, there are food, rich in Niacin. Some of these are-

Meat, Fish, Mushrooms contain some of the highest concentrations of niacin among vegetables.
White meats like chicken and turkey are great sources of niacin.
Niacin rich foods are eggs, green vegetables, fish, milk and yeast.
These will help to lower LDL levels.

BMI is calculated by using the following formula:

Weight in pounds (lbs) divided by height in inches (in) squared and multiplied by a conversion factor of 703 (weight (lbs) / [height (in)2] x 703).

Kindly check this link-

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/bmi-calculator/NU00597

If you are satisfied, place rate the advice you've received so that I receive credit for helping you.

Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience: Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Technical - Coputer Use Question:

I have new laptop that has Power Point 2010 preloaded,

I have some presentations created in PP 97-2003

How do I convert the old version, 2003 into new version 2010.

Thanks

Mike Radan