Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

Since Dec 25 i had a very bad sore throat i have been drinking

Since Dec 25 i had a very bad sore throat i have been drinking a lot of beer prior to that for bout 2 months cause of stress now my throat is irritating me with severe pain in ear and pain in throat even when i drink water or take a pill i can feel it i have G.E.R.D but i have never gotten a sore throat only the lump in the throat feeling it is located under my Adams apple closer to the base of my neck and i have tons on mucus when i swallow it is hard but i can eat properly and drink properly more irritating to swallow my own saliva i can feel the pain i went to the ENT but he didn't even scope me he just told me it could be a viral infection so he gave me something to gargle i am deathly afraid it might be throat cancer I have that i am worried now that i have caused damage by all my drinking and stress
Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today .I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

When did you consulted the ENT doctor?
Do you have fever?
Is there any pain in upper abdomen?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I consulted the ENT on the 7th of January 2013

No i dOnt have a fever

No Pain in upper abdomen

i can sit here and not swallow and i feel i not sure if its my ear or throat sumtimes

Dear XXXXX,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

Although most of sore throats are caused by viral infections.But this can also be bacterial like strep throat.It is the most common bacterial cause of sore throat.It is caused group A Streptococcus bacteria.

Strep can not be accurately diagnosed by looking at the throat alone. It requires a laboratory test.A throat swab or a rapid test is required to rule out/diagnose strep infection.

You need following tests:

-Throat swab test
-Rapid test for strep infection
-Blood culture
-Upper endoscopy

Sore throat caused by a viral infection generally clears up on its own within one week with no complications.As it has been almost 15 days now,I do not think this to be viral infection.There is possibility of bacterial infection.The infection may travel to the ear through eustachian tube(a connection between middle ear & back of nose) & cause ear pain.

Keeping a humidifier running in your room or using an over-the-counter salt-water spray (inhaled through the nose) five or six times a day can provide dramatic relief.

These symptoms do not indicate of throat cancer or any serious disease.So please do not worry about that.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So is it a mixture of the acid reflux that could ahve caused the bacterial infection

Dear Christopher,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

No,acid reflux cannot cause bacterial infection.Though both bacterial infection & acid reflux can cause sore throat.

GERD is a condition in which the esophagus becomes irritated or inflamed because of acid backing up from the stomach.

If GERD is the only cause,then you may be prescribed with medications like H-2-receptor blockers,Antacids that neutralize stomach acid,Pro-motility drugs , Medications to reduce acid production, Foam barriers ( that are composed of an antacid and a foaming agent).

If the bacterial cause is confirmed after the tests,then you will be prescribed with oral antibiotics.

Following will help you greatly: Pour a 1/2 to a whole teaspoon of liquid diphenhydramine syrup into small medicine cup and gargle with it. Try to keep the syrup towards the back of your throat for as long as he can.Gargling with lukewarm saline water is one of the best remedies.Throat lozenges will also provide great relief. They are available as OTC(over the counter).

So first the underlying cause should be detected with the tests & then treatment will be done accordingly.Till then use these above described home remedies.

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So i can surely rule out Throat Cancer forgive me i am a hypochondriac LOL

Dear Christopher,

Yes,this does not seem to be any symptom of throat cancer or any serious disease.So please do not worry about that.None of the symptom directs towards any type of cancer.

Thank you for using just answer website & Happy New Year 2013.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Hi Christopher

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor?
Was bacterial infection diagnosed/ruled out?
Is there anything else that I can help you?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles