Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

54 yr old female recent sinus infection/head cold? congestion

54 yr old female
recent sinus infection/head cold?
congestion in head, cough
normal temp
feels light headed, not in her body
feels like she is high
no drugs or alcohol in her system
feels weird, airy
acting weird, definite change in how she's acting
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

The person you are referring to may have the flu or just an upper respiratory infection. Congestion and cough would go along with that. However, a change in her personality may not have anything to do with the recent respiratory infection. Taking cough and cold medications can make you feel lightheaded and 'spacey', so it may just be that but I would have her checked out just in case. TIA or other neurological issues may be the cause.

Reply back if more info is needed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

her pupils seem sluggish when checked with pen light

Definitely sounds like something that needs to be checked out ASAP. Neurological in nature. Can you take her to the ER?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

now she doesn't want to go.

she has only had 2 doses of OTC guiafenesin & dextromethorphan, which is 200mg and 20mg x 2 doses approx 6 hrs apart.

she seemed really concerned but now wants to wait until the morning.

says she just feels euphoric.

says she can do anything I ask, but just feels weird.

has c/o feeling dizzy and lightheaded when she coughs.

If she doesn't want to go, there's nothing you can do unless you call an ambulance out...sounds like time is her friend so if she doesn't go, there may be irreversible damage if she doesn't go now (this evening).

All you can do is encourage her to go ahead and go.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thank you.

I hate when people aren't feeling well, complain about it enough for someone to get concerned and then when that person tries to do something to help then they don't want to take the advice.

I guess I'll just watch and keep checking in with her and look for further changes.

I know it is quite frustrating but outside of calling an ambulance, there is nothing you can do. I just hope that waiting will not cause irreversible problems.

Good luck with her and take care of yourself in the meantime.

Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.