Nurse Milli, RN
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.
7152018

I have a pain in my neck. Its been there for 2 or 3 weeks.

I have a pain in my neck. It's been there for 2 or 3 weeks. It's unusual for me because thay type of thing would go away in a day or two. Sometimes it even hurts inside my throat. Is this a common ailment? I don't remember hurting myself,so maybe I slept wrong or on the couch.

I don't want to go to the doctor. How long should I wait?
Category: Health
Expert:  Nurse Milli, RN replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for the question. I am a Registered Nurse and will be happy to help you today.

What part of the neck is bothering you? The front, back or sides?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the right side.

Hi there and thanks for replying back. Sleeping in a bad position can certainly cause neck pain. Even if you have an underlying condition like some cervical disk disease or even a herniated disk (some people don't even know they have a herniated disk until the begin having pain) it can cause pain like this. Sometimes the pain will radiate to other parts of the body as well (such as the arms, hands, etc). You can also feel numbness and tingling if nerves are impinged or inflammed. Your best medication for this is an anti-inflammatory drug like Advil or Motrin or Aleve. This will help relieve some of the inflammation and help with the pain. You can also use heat or ice on the neck -whichever makes it feel better. Also, try to avoid the couch for resting/sleeping as it puts your neck in a compromised position that can really cause problems. If after your home treatment for a week or so, the pain is still with you, or the pain gets worse, then yes, it will be time to have the DR's office visit and the xrays.

Let me know if you need any additional information.
Nurse Milli, RN, Nurse (RN)
Experience: 20 years experience in many areas of Nursing. Both Hospital and Private Practice experience.