Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

My 11 year old daughter has a small pimple-like bump on her

My 11 year old daughter has a small pimple-like bump on her inner thigh. It looks like a tiny pimple, doesn't hurt her, and is the size of half a pencil eraser. After soccer practice last night it was a little red from irritation.

She said she has had it for several months but it faded away then returned yesterday. I told her not to touch it, put some medicated cream on it, and plan to put a warm compress on it tonight.

I worry that it is staph, but the images online are FAR WORSE than what her tiny bump looks like. Could this be an ingrown hair that never fully went away is re-irritated?

Dear customer,
I am Dr.Charles and I'm happy to help with your question today.I need the following information from you,so that I can provide you the complete & best answer:

Is there any discharge from that tiny pimple?

Is she having any other known medical illness?

Does she had any recent history of fever?

I am online and is waiting for your reply.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No discharge, no known medical illness, no fever. She had a stomach virus two weeks ago, but recovered quickly.

Dear customer,
Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I’ve taken a close look at your question & the reply and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you have described about your daughter seems most probably due to a condition called folliculitis.It is inflammation of one or more hair follicles(ingrown hair).The damaged follicles are then infected with the bacteria staphylococcus.

Other possibility can be of acne or a cyst.Acne can occur anywhere on the body.Less likely it can be mild cellulitis.Cellulitis is a spreading bacterial infection of the skin and tissues beneath the skin. Staphylococcus and streptococcus bacteria are the most common causes of cellulitis.Most probably & most likely this symptom she is having is of folliculitis.

Swabbing the skin, then sending it to a laboratory for bacterial and yeast cultures will confirm the infection.

The goal of treatment is to control infection and prevent related problems. Treatment usually includes antibiotics.She can apply ointment ultramide or ointment polysporin.They are available as OTC without prescription.

If still the symptoms persists then she need to consult the doctor physical & clinical examination & then oral antibiotics will be prescribed accordingly.

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for repeatedly using just answer website & trusting it.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thank you. Is it normal for something likethis to stick around for a bit?

Dear Rozee,
I am happy to answer your follow up question.

Yes,due to irritation,this can cause inflammation & hence it becomes reddish.It is best if he can cover while showering.Usually it is completely cured by topical antibiotic ointment like ointment ultramide or ointment polysporin.

But oral antibiotic may be prescribed if the symptoms persists after applying this ointment.

Cleanliness and good hygiene are the best way to protect against getting & from spreading staph infections.She can prevent spreading it to other parts of your body by being careful not to touch the infected skin, keeping it covered, and using a towel only once when she clean the area.

Hope this helped

My main motive is your satisfaction.If you still have any questions in mind,please feel free to ask.

Thank you for using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Hi Rozee,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Has your daughter applied that ointment?
Does the pimple gets subside?
Is there anything else that I can be helpful to you?

Let me know,
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The redness and irritation subsided. There is still a remnant of it's existence remaining. It's more like a tiny bump, doesn't hurt her, and is slightly darker in pigment then her surrounding skin. It's surface, nothing below the skin is felt. Will this just slowly fade away?
Hi Rozee,

Yes,as the time passes it will fade away of its own without any medication.The redness & irritation has already subsided.

If still the symptoms persists,then prescription bleaching creams (hydroquinone) used and/or with retinoids (tretinoin) and a mild steroid may gradually fade the remaining spots.

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you still have any questions in mind.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles