Dr. German
Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MD

My neutrophils are 75.9 and my lymphs are 15.7. These are abnormal.

Customer Question

My neutrophils are 75.9 and my lymphs are 15.7. These are abnormal. My doctor says it's nothing to be concerned about, but I am. What does it mean? Please explain. I'm worried.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for your question , I suppose what you are giving me is the neutrophil and lymphocytes blood differential count .

If your absolute white blood cell count is normal ,there is no need to be worried .It could be a normal variation and nothing else .

On the other side,if the absolute white blood cell count is increased or decreased consulting an Hematologist Specialist would be appropriate to be further examined.

These results could be caused by :

1-An underlying infectious process
2- An inflammatory disorder
3-Stress or anxiety
4- An autoimmune disorder like rheumatoid arthritis in which your immune cells mistakenly attack your own healthy body's cells.

If you would have any of these conditions you would have other clinical symptoms like fever , joint inflammation,fatigue,stomach pain,dizziness, swollen lymph nodes, throat pain or weight loss .

If your absolute white blood cell count is normal or you do not have any symptoms at all , relax there is nothing to be worried.

If you have any of the symptoms I mentioned before or the absolute white blood cell count is abnormal , you should consult an hematologist to be 100 % nothing else is involved.

If you feel the need to rate "Helped a little" (1) or "I expected more”(2) they count as negative rating , please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will be happy to continue further and assist you until I am able to explain any concerns or doubts to your satisfaction.

Please be aware if you give any rating below 3 stars then I will not be compensated in any way for helping you today. Good luck to you and have a good day !

When we finish our conversation if you like the answer ,please click accept so I can get credit for my work.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Well, I suppose it could be caused by stress/anxiety? I'm grieving the death of my husband of 42 years. He died 18 months ago. Could this cause these numbers to be the way they are? I do get fatigued ---- but I'm sure it's from grieving. My weight is down, but again, I don't eat well yet. So that's not unusual either. My overall white blood count is 5.6, which is smack dab normal. The range for the neuts % is 36.0 - 66.0. The range for the lymphs% is 24 - 44. Mine are pretty far out of this range, which is why I'm so worried. But if you think it's OK, and my doctor thinks it's OK, then I guess I should think it's OK. Please confirm. Thank you so much!

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Yes , being under a lot of stress ,anxiety or really sad which is understandable specially in your case could alter your white blood cell differential count , you do not have to worry , this is normal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Oh Gosh. Whew!! I feel better about this. I don't need the added stress/anxiety! :-) My doctor doesn't even think a repeat test is necessary. Do you agree with that. I think this will be my last question. Thank you so very much!

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
Yes , I agree I do not think you need any more tests at this time.

Dr. German, Doctor (MD)
Experience: MD
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much, Dr. German. Now that's one less thing for me to worry about. I just HAD to find a second opinion somewhere to relieve the anxiety I've had about this. Thank you again.

Expert:  Dr. German replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome have a really nice day.