Dr. Josh
Dr. Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Practicing Physician, Family Physician for 7 years
6740150

How to tell if I am allergic to retin-a micro or experiencing

How to tell if I am allergic to retin-a micro or experiencing routine initial breakout? Severely Itchy bumpy skin where applied after only two uses, Thursday and Saturday.
Welcome to Justanswer website.
Myself Dr Josh and I’m happy to help with your question today.
I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Your symptoms can occur with allergic reaction from Retin A Micro Gel (tretinoin topical).In studies, it has been reported to cause allergic reaction to some patients. Some of the common symptoms with such reaction are- blistering, crusting, severe burning/swelling of the skin, skin discoloration.
You should take OTC anti-allergic medication Zyrtec once a day for one week. You can apply cream containing hydrocortisone, this will improve your condition.You should also use Calamine lotion for local application. When washing or bathing, keep water contact as brief as possible. You should avoid strong soaps, detergents, and other chemicals.You should not use Retin A Micro Gel anymore, and please see your doctor at the earliest.

If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know how I can be of further assistance.
It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service. Please rate me highly and provide me with feedback. Leaving a Bonus will be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more thing. Do you know the alternative treatments for some allergic to retin-a? I hate to think I'll be stuck with acne another 20 years.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more thing. Do you know the alternative treatments for people allergic to retin-a? I hate to think I'll be stuck with acne another 20 years.

Sorry for the delay in answering. I was on another question. I apologize for your wait.

For how long you have been suffering with acne?
Have you tried any antibiotics?
Have you seen Dermatologist?

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have had acne since I was about 11 years old. I have been to dermatologists before, but the topical antibiotic I was put on made my skin too oily. Once I started using birth control pills, the issue went away for about 20 years. In the last few years, I have stopped taken birth control, and my facial acne is worse than it ever was as a teenager. I was self-medicating with oral doxycycline over the past month, but didn't seen to get any relief, which is why I went back to the dermatologist. I had gotten the doxycycline as a preventative before I went out of the country recently, but didn't need to use them for anything. So I thought I wold use it for acne.

Carmen,
Acne is caused due to bacteria, blockage of pores, increased sebaceous activity and hyperkeratnization.

You need to be prescribed with benzoyl peroxide and antibiotic combination medications which includes different dose combinations of benzoyl peroxide and clindamycin (Benzaclin, Duac, Acanya) and benzoyl peroxide and erythromycin (Benzamycin).

You can be prescribed with short course of antibiotic like azithromycin 500 mg three days a week. If you have painful pustules then you will need a 3-6 month course of antibiotics. Also Minocycline 100mg once daily works well.

You should discuss about these medications with Dermatologist.
You should also review with the Endocrinologist and start some hormonal treatment like droperinone.
I hope this helps.