Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist

the left side of my neck is hurting and starting to radiate

the left side of my neck is hurting and starting to radiate down to my shoulder??

Dear XXXXX Astern,

I am Dr.Charles and I’m happy to help with your question today.Please see the post below as your answer.

Kind Regards-
Dr. Charles

Dear XXXXX Astern,

Thanks for the valuable info you had given.I've taken a close look at your question and come up with the following answer:

The symptoms you have described about pain in left side of neck & radiating upto shoulder can be due to a condition called cervical spondylitis and/or spondylosis.It is most likely caused by age-related changes in the inter vertebral disks.It is generally caused by the compression of spinal nerves.

Any compromise of the nerve space in the spinal column can lead to compression of the nerve endings and can cause such symptoms.The pain radiates along the nerve route upto shoulder.This occurs because of lumbar radiculopathy,spinal disc herniation,wear and tear or degeneration of the discs.

You need following tests:

-X-ray neck
-Nerve conduction studies,
-Electro physiological studies
-Nerve conduction velocity (NCV)

Treatment includes soft cervical collar, analgesics, anti-inflammatory, local heat, possibly traction , and isometric exercises.

Exact diagnosis can only be made after physical & clinical examination.So I advice you to make an appointment with your doctor for these tests & examination to know the exact cause & then treatment will be done accordingly.Till than take tab. Ibuprofen 400mg from the counter. It is available as OTC(over the counter) without prescription & will help you greatly in pain relief.

See this picture for clear understanding:

Hope this helped

Your satisfaction is my prime goal and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.

Thank you for repeatedly using just answer website.

Kind Regards-
Dr Charles

Hi Deborah Astern
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Have you consulted your doctor?
What tests you underwent?
Is there anything else that I can help you?

Let me know,